By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Logan Coughlin of IU Southeast (Ind.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week and Tyler Tognarine of Lyon (Ark.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Coughlin and Tognarine were selected based on their performances from April 4 - 10 and were chosen from a pool of conference/Association of Independent Institutions award winners. The fifth players of the week will be announced on April 19.
Baseball Player of the Week
Logan Coughlin, IU Southeast (Ind.)
5-11, Sr., LF, Brownsburg, Ind.
• Hit .750 (12-for-16) on the week with seven runs scored, four doubles, two triples and two home runs.
• Drove in 11 runs in the 5-0 week for the Grenadiers.
• Recorded three RBI in three-of-the-five contests this week.
• Had a slugging percentage of 1.625.
• Had a career day against Ohio Christian on April 8, as he recorded or tied season-highs in at bats (five), runs scored (three), hits (five), RBI (three), triples (one), homeruns (one) and total bases (eight).
• This is his first career national player of the week award.
Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Tyler Tognarine, Lyon (Ark.)
6-0, So., P, Cape Coral, Fla.
• Helped lead the Scots to a pair of wins against then-No. 9 Missouri Baptist on April 8-9.
• Logged his first save of 2016 by throwing a perfect ninth inning to seal the 9-7 win for Lyon, on April 8 against Missouri Baptist.
• Picked up his seventh win on the season, the next day, by tossing a complete game, two-hitter and striking out a season-high eight Spartans in the 2-1 victory.
• Tognarine, now 7-2 on the year, has seven complete games in ten starts.
• His seven wins rank No. 16 in the NAIA.
• This is his first career national pitcher of the week award.
For the complete national player of the week award, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Jalin Lawson, Central Baptist (Ark.); Cody Stroud, Tennessee Wesleyan; Nicholas Ridio, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Matthew Moorehead, Oregon Tech; Madison Foster, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Caleb Eder, Indiana Wesleyan; Brandon Sandoval, Vanguard (Calif.); Grant Lang, Northwestern (Iowa); Randy Keen, Avila (Mo.); Brady Hamilton, Georgia Gwinnett; Dustin Stokes, Kansas Wesleyan; Trey Gross, Georgetown (Ky.); Quinn Irey, Jamestown (N.D.); Alex Montero, LSU Shreveport (La.); Yariel Gonzalez, Science & Arts (Okla.); Tyler Richardson, William Carey (Miss.); Randy Rodriguez, Warner (Fla.); Alex Leach, Northwestern Ohio
Pitcher Nominees: Tyler Thornton, Tennessee Wesleyan; Tyler Sharp, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Adam Kandra, Oregon Tech; Charlie Ludolph, St. Francis (Ill.); Lucas Daugherty, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Jimmy Gallarda, Biola (Calif.); Fernando Gutierrez, Northwestern (Iowa); Phillipe Graham, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Curtis Taylor, British Columbia; Will Solomon, Georgia Gwinnett; Kade Wagner, Sterling (Kan.); Greg Laughlin, Indiana Southeast; Daniel Lerma, St. Catharine (Ky.); Braulio Torres-perez, Bellevue (Neb.); Brandon Texiera, LSU Shreveport (La.); Junior Obeso, Mid-America Christian (Okla.); Mark Vasquez, Faulkner (Ala.); Tyler Perkins, Warner (Fla.); Justin Geerts, Cornerstone (Mich.)
2015-16 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 23): Daniel Butler, Westmont (Calif.) , Michael Baca, Tabor (Kan.)
Week 2 (March 30): Steven Ellis, Houston-Victoria (Texas) , Wardy Polanco, Tennessee Wesleyan
Week 3 (April 06): Jordan Watson, Science & Arts (Okla.) , Culver Plant, Missouri Baptist
Week 4 (April 13): Tyler Tognarine, Lyon (Ark.) , Logan Coughlin, Indiana Southeast