By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Matt Wells of William Woods (Mo.) has been named the NAIA National Men’s Golfer of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Wells was selected based on his performances from April 4-10 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Golfer of the Week
Matt Wells, William Woods (Mo.)
Jr., Ilfracombe, England
• Finished first out of 71 golfers at the Boone Hospital/WWU Spring Invite on April 5-6.
• Shot six-under-par (70-68 – 138) to win the two round tournament by two strokes.
• Followed that act with a two-under-par (70) performance at the Westminster (Mo.) College (NCAA Division III) Dual on April 9 to finish second, three-strokes behind teammate Billy McKenzie.
• Led the Owls to a pair of first-place team finishes.
• This is his first career national player of the week award.
For the complete 2016 Golfer of the Week schedule, click here.
Nominees: Erik Jonasson, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Francisco de Oliveira, Point (Ga.); Tyler Swinton, Oregon Tech; Austin Gass, St. Francis (Ill.); Sergio Garcia, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Charlie Phillips, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Jonathan Schram, Grace (Ind.); Chris Lien, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Spencer Lindahl, Doane (Neb.); Preston Walford, Midland (Neb.); Cody Holck, Morningside (Iowa); Justin Kraft, Northwestern (Iowa); Frederik Lundsgaard, William Penn (Iowa); Kaz Sakai, Missouri Valley; Ben Wollam, Grand View (Iowa); Lorenzo Bolivar, Sterling (Kan.); Franklin Crist, Indiana East; Gage Basiletti, Point Park (Pa.); Austin Welch, IU Kokomo; Jonathon Grabara, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Florian Loutre, Cumberlands (Ky.); Josh Zornes, Shawnee State (Ohio); Fernando Arzate, Bellevue (Neb.); David Ravetto, Texas Wesleyan; Tyler Webb, Faulkner (Ala.); Connor Hogan, Mobile (Ala.); Sebastian Sundell, Northwestern Ohio
2015-16 Men's Golf Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 23): Seth Sanders, Coastal Georgia
Week 2 (March 30): Louis Hirst, Keiser (Fla.)
Week 3 (April 13): Matt Wells, William Woods (Mo.)