2016 NAIA Baseball Players of the Week – No. 5 (April 19)
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Michael Johnson of York (Neb.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week and Ian Zimmerman of Robert Morris (Ill.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Johnson and Zimmerman were selected based on their performances from April 11 - 17 and were chosen from a pool of conference/Association of Independent Institutions award winners. The sixth players of the week will be announced on April 26.
Baseball Player of the Week
Michael Johnson, York (Neb.)
5-9, Sr., Union, City, Calif.
• Hit .609 (14-for-23) on the week with nine runs scored, six home runs and two doubles to lead the Panthers to a 5-0 week, including a four-game sweep over (RV) Oklahoma Wesleyan.
• Drove in 11 runs during the week.
• Recorded at least two hits and one RBI each game.
• Had a slugging percentage of 1.478.
• Had a career day against Oklahoma Wesleyan on April 15, as he recorded-or-tied season-highs in hits (five), home runs (three) and total bases (14). He also added five RBI and a walk in the contest.
• This is his first career national player of the week award.
Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Ian Zimmerman, Robert Morris (Ill.)
6-0, Jr., P, Belleville, Ill.
• Helped lead the Eagles to a 6-0 win over Calumet (Ind.) on April 13.
• In the win, Zimmerman threw the first no-hitter for Robert Morris since March 22, 2013.
• Threw seven innings, allowing no runs and striking out a career-high 11 batters.
• Zimmerman has gone two-straight appearances without allowing a run, a span of 13 innings.
• This was his second victory of the season.
• This is his first career national pitcher of the week award.
For the complete national player of the week award, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Jalin Lawson, Central Baptist (Ark.); Paolo Montezuma, Tennessee Wesleyan; Neal White, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Hayden Calvert, Corban (Ore.); Tyler Sroczynski, Trinity Christian (Ill.); Tyler Reed, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Sam Thorne, Biola (Calif.); Trevor Jutting, Mount Marty (S.D.); Eric Crawford, Tougaloo (Miss.); Kyle Simmons, Avila (Mo.); Tanner Levine, WVU Tech; Chaz Meadows, Georgetown (Ky.); Mitchell Keeran, Waldorf (Iowa); Javion Randle, Jarvis Christian (Texas); Michael Lowe, Southwestern Christian (Okla.); Andy Mocahbee, Middle Georgia State; Thomas Estopare, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Travis Bolin, Davenport (Mich.)
Pitcher Nominees: Brian Moreno, Central Baptist (Ark.); Tyler Thornton, Tennessee Wesleyan; Layne Sutten, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Zach Draper, College of Idaho; Luke Hunter, Taylor (Ind.); Micah Beyer, Biola (Calif.); Sam Erickson, Mount Marty (S.D.); Dalen Wheeler, Tougaloo (Miss.); E.j. Merlo, Avila (Mo.); Connor Noble, British Columbia; Ulysses Ramos, York (Neb.); Josh Hudson, WVU Tech; Jeff Rivera, Cumberlands (Ky.); Todd Nicks, Bellevue (Neb.); Steven Ellis, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Alsis Herrera, Science & Arts (Okla.); Josh Shelley, Mobile (Ala.); Taylor Layner, Webber International (Fla.); Nick Eely, Aquinas (Mich.)
2015-16 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 23): Daniel Butler, Westmont (Calif.) , Michael Baca, Tabor (Kan.)
Week 2 (March 30): Steven Ellis, Houston-Victoria (Texas) , Wardy Polanco, Tennessee Wesleyan
Week 3 (April 06): Jordan Watson, Science & Arts (Okla.) , Culver Plant, Missouri Baptist
Week 4 (April 13): Tyler Tognarine, Lyon (Ark.) , Logan Coughlin, Indiana Southeast
Week 5 (April 20): Ian Zimmerman, Robert Morris (Ill.) , Michael Johnson, York (Neb.)