By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Rupert Kaminski of Oklahoma City has been named the NAIA National Men’s Golfer of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Kaminski was selected based on his performances from April 18-24 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners. This is the final national award of the season.
National Golfer of the Week
Rupert Kaminski, Oklahoma City
Fr., Johannesburg, South Africa
• Won the Sooner Athletic Conference (SAC) individual championship by shooting 21-under-par (67-63-65—195) at Waterchase Golf Club in Fort Worth, Texas, on April 19.
• The SAC Freshman of the Year, nailed 21 birdies over the 54 holes and added an eagle on the par-5, 525-yard sixth hole.
• Kaminski bettered Charles Howell’s three-round NCAA Championships record of 196 (20-shots-under-par), Oklahoma City’s 54-hole records for scoring and shots-under-par, and the course tournament record with his second-round 63.
• Helped led the Stars to its sixth SAC title in seven years (282-272-276—830).
• In addition to the individual records, Kaminski helped Oklahoma City set a new 54-hole team record and a SAC Championships team mark with 34-shots-under-par.
• This is his second career National Men’s Golfer of the Week award – April 20, 2016
For the complete 2016 Golfer of the Week schedule, click here.
Nominees: Hunter Parrish, Columbia (Mo.); Anthony Slater, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Tyler Pinney, Central Baptist (Ark.); Evan Ball, Tennessee Wesleyan; Josh Goins, Northwest Christian (Ore.); Matt Winklemann, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Kaleb Gorbahn, Holy Cross (Ind.); Eric Wessel, Judson (Ill.); Trey Turner, Taylor (Ind.); Jake Coffey, Indiana Wesleyan; Charlie Phillips, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Chris Lien, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Thomas Hogg, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Justin Kraft, Northwestern (Iowa); Ben Wollam, Grand View (Iowa); Kaz Sakai, Missouri Valley; Chad Nitz, Mount Mercy (Iowa); Ben Kendrick, Cumberlands (Ky.); Diego Gudino, Bellevue (Neb.); Ben Torchia, Lourdes (Ohio)
2015-16 Men's Golf Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 23): Seth Sanders, Coastal Georgia
Week 2 (March 30): Louis Hirst, Keiser (Fla.)
Week 3 (April 6): Dillion Board, Coastal Georgia
Week 4 (April 13): Matt Wells, William Woods (Mo.)
Week 5 (April 20): Rupert Kaminski, Oklahoma City
Week 6 (April 27): Rupert Kaminski, Oklahoma City