By Spencer Scheve, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Aleksi Pahkasalo of Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) has been named the NAIA National Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week and Nikola Kahvedzic of Northwestern Ohio has been named the NAIA National Men's Soccer Defensive Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Aleksi Pahkasalo, Lindsey Wilson, (Ky.)
5-9, Sr., MF, Vantaa, Finland
• Pahkasalo scored seven of the Cougars 11 goals, tallying 14 points in a two-game span.
• He scored four of the Lindsey Wilson’s seven goals against Cumberlands (Ky.) and three times in a 4-4 draw against No. 8 Campbellsville (Ky.).
• Pahkasalo’s seven goals came in only 12 shots.
• The week resulted in Pahkasalo's 10th and 11th multi-goal games of his career, including his fifth and sixth games with at least three goals.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Nikola Kahvedzic, Northwestern Ohio
5-11,Fr., G, Belgrade, Serbia
• Nikola Kahvedzic has now gone 386:07 without surrendering a goal, which includes 90 minutes against (RV) Madonna (Mich.) and 110 minutes at No. 5 Davenport (Mich.).
• Kahvedzic recorded four saves against Madonna (Mich.) and three saves against Davenport .
• He has been credited with all seven of Northwestern Ohio’s shutouts this year.
• Second NAIA National Defensive Player of the Week award this season.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: George Achard, Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.); Joao Costa, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Alexander Whyte, Soka (Calif.); Jurren van der Gun, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Connor Davis, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Camilo Martinez, Great Falls (Mont.); Matthew Lariviere, Westmont (Calif.); Dan Wheeler, Midland (Neb.); Adrian Gutierrez, Central Methodist (Mo.); Ellis Husband, Georgia Gwinnett; Dakota Steuber, Bethel (Kan.); Cristian Alvarez, Waldorf (Iowa); Jorge Contreras, St. Thomas (Texas); Daniel Ramirez, WVU Tech; Walton Domingos, Southwestern Christian (Okla.); Rury Alvarez, Dalton State (Ga.); Reece Weldon, Keiser (Fla.); Alex Vrzovski, Concordia (Mich.)
Defensive Nominees: Braedan Passalis, Missouri Baptist; Alex Horton, Bryan (Tenn.); Xavier Juarez, UC Merced; Jonathan Morales, Southern Oregon; Jared Yonke, Trinity International (Ill.); Jared Scarfpin, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Lalo Delgado, Westmont (Calif.); Erik Tello, Hastings (Neb.); Caleb Pipes-Goulsbra, William Penn (Iowa); Ellis Husband, Georgia Gwinnett; Fauris Franco, Kansas Wesleyan; Gonzalo Sapena, Campbellsville (Ky.); Jacob Harris, Waldorf (Iowa); Guilherme Altoe, St. Thomas (Texas); Austin Baker, Asbury (Ky.); Joaoa Souza, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Grant Adam, William Carey (Miss.); Fernando Zeledon, SCAD Savannah (Ga.)2016-17 Men's Soccer Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (September 07): Hayden Dees, Mobile (Ala.) , Alex Durbin, Dordt (Iowa)
Week 2 (September 14): Joe White, Hastings (Neb.) , Chance Bourdene, William Carey (Miss.)
Week 3 (September 21): Nikola Kahvedzic, Northwestern Ohio , Pepe Cejudo, Northwestern Ohio
Week 4 (September 28): Garrett Byrd, Oregon Tech , Daniel Whitehall, Hastings (Neb.)
Week 5 (October 05): Nikola Kahvedzic, Northwestern Ohio , Aleksi Pahkasalo, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)