By Nikki Sherrill, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Tyler Fraley of Williams Baptist (Ark.) has been name the NAIA National Wrestler of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Fraley was chosen based on his performances from Jan. 16 - 22. The next wrestler of the week will be announced Wednesday, Feb. 1.
NAIA National Wrestler of the Week
Tyler Fraley, Williams Baptist (Ark.)
141, Jr., Freehold, N.J.
• At the Missouri Valley Invitational in Marshall, Mo., Fraley swept his way to the championship in the 141-pound class.
• Fraley, the No. 1 ranked wrestler in his class, earned six victories with four over ranked opponents, including two Top 10 athletes in 141-pounds.
• With two major decision wins on the weekend, Fraley helped his No. 9 ranked squad to an eighth place team finish out of 32 teams in the invitational.
• Up next for the Eagles and Fraley is the American Midwest Conference (AMC.) Tournament in Walnut Ridge, Ark., on Saturday. Williams Baptist will be looking to repeat as AMC champions after winning the title last season.
• This is Fraley’s first career National Wrestler of the Week.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Dustin Miller, Lyon (Ark.); Aaron Vaughan, St. Andrews (N.C.); Jeff Chandler, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Ben Stroh, Montana State-Northern; Ceron Francisco, Concordia (Neb.); Keegan Hessler, Morningside (Iowa); Chris Vaughan, Hastings (Neb.); Jake Laden, Grand View (Iowa); Andrew Simmons, Missouri Valley; Victor Hughes, Baker (Kan.); Cam Tessari, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Tres Leon, Cumberlands (Ky.) ; Sean Nguyen, Cumberland (Tenn.) ; Justin Brown, Campbellsville (Ky.); Derek Sivertsen, Oklahoma City; Giovanny Bonilla, Southeastern (Fla.); Mitch Pawlak, Indiana Tech
2016-17 Wrestling Composite Award WinnersWeek 1 (November 16): Dalton Tipton, Missouri Valley
Week 2 (December 7): Daniel Leonard, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 3 (January 11): Chuck Sharon, Campbellsville (Ky.)
Week 4 (January 18): Sammy Rosario, Cumberland (Tenn.)
Week 5 (January 25): Tyler Fraley, Williams Baptist (Ark.)