By Nikki Sherrill, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Keegan Hessler of Morningside (Iowa) has been name the NAIA National Wrestler of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Hessler was chosen based on his performances from Jan. 23 – 29. The final wrestler of the week will be announced Wednesday, Feb. 8.
NAIA National Wrestler of the Week
Keegan Hessler, Morningside (Iowa)
125, So., Scottsbluff, Neb.
• After winning all three of his matches during the week, Hessler improved his season record to 10-2. The 11th ranked grappler in the 125-pound class went 3-0 at the Great Plains Athletic Conference Duals.
• The biggest victory for Hessler came in the 27-18 Mustang win over Midland (Neb.) when he upset the No. 1 wrestler in the 125-pound class, Hugo Perez, with a 9-6 decision.
• During a Morningside 33-13 win over Northwestern (Iowa), Hessler earned his fourth pin of the season against Austin Boles in 3:35.
• The Mustangs and Hessler will compete against Doane (Neb.) at home before competing in the Dave Edmonds Sioux City Open this weekend.
• This is Hessler’s first career National Wrestler of the Week.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Tyler Fraley, Williams Baptist (Ark.); Jeff Chandler, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Dmitri Smith, Concordia (Neb.); Luis Rivera-Santiago, Northwestern (Iowa); Jeremiah Gerl, Hastings (Neb.); Michael Pixley, Grand View (Iowa); Cartland Allen, Graceland (Iowa); Kenny Boyd, Missouri Valley; Dillon Scanlon, Benedictine (Kan.); Tanner O'Donnell, Kansas Wesleyan; Hunter Bell, Cumberlands (Ky.); Nate Croley, Cumberland (Tenn.); Devane Dodgens, Life (Ga.); Kohl Dodd, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Nate Jackson, Campbellsville (Ky.); Noah Nuno, Lourdes (Ohio)
2016-17 Wrestling Composite Award WinnersWeek 1 (November 16): Dalton Tipton, Missouri Valley
Week 2 (December 7): Daniel Leonard, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 3 (January 11): Chuck Sharon, Campbellsville (Ky.)
Week 4 (January 18): Sammy Rosario, Cumberland (Tenn.)
Week 5 (January 25): Tyler Fraley, Williams Baptist (Ark.)
Week 6 (February 1): Keegan Hessler, Morningside (Iowa)