By Nikki Sherrill, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Daniil Kuzmin of Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) has been named the final NAIA Men’s Swimmer/Diver of the Month, the national office announced Thursday. Kuzmin was selected for his performance from Jan. 16 – Feb. 12.
National Men's Swimmer/Diver of the Month
Daniil Kuzmin, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
So., Norilsk, Russia
• At the University of Illinois-Chicago Invite Jan. 20 - 21, Kuzmin led his then-No. 3 Tigers to a first-place finish after battling his way to three event victories.
• Kuzmin’s lone individual win came against nine other swimmers in the 200-yard freestyle, where he earned a time of 1:24.13.
• Swam a 1:53.97 mark in the 200-yard individual medley – good for a third-place finish. Kuzmin also won two relays with his Tiger teammates in the 200-yard freestyle relay (1:24.13) and the 800-yard freestyle relay (6:50.92. In the final event for Kuzmin, his relay team placed third with a time of 3:27.81 in the 400-yard individual medley.
• In a meet against NCAA Division III Wheaton College (Ill.) Jan. 27, Kuzmin swam his way to two first-place finishes with a 45.75 time in the 100-yard freestyle and a 200-yard freestyle relay time of 1:35.41. The Tigers defeated the Thunder 115-82.
• This is Kuzmin’s first National Swimmer of the Month honor.
Nominees: Ivar de Jong, Union (Ky.); Clemens Paetzold, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Jacob Smith, Cumberlands (Ky.); Jason Schroeder, St. Gregory’s (Okla.); Joel Ax, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Lukas Macek, Keiser (Fla.)
2016-17 Men's Swimming & Diving Composite Award Winners
December: Keith Jessee, Asbury (Ky.)
January: Daniel Hartley, Keiser (Fla.)
February: Daniil Kuzmin, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)