By Nikki Sherrill, Athletic Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Radu Popa of Northwestern Ohio has been named the NAIA National Men's Tennis Player of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Popa was selected based on his performances from March 13 – 19 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Men's Tennis Player of the Week
Radu Popa, Northwestern Ohio
So., Galati, Romania
• At the Olivet Nazarene Invite over the weekend, Popa went a perfect 5-0.
• Popa helped Northwestern Ohio claim a program-best 10-straight team wins to start the season while also picking up its first-ever victory over a Top Five opponent when it defeated No. 4 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.).
• Although he is unranked in singles, Popa and his double’s partner, Iustin Baciu, are ranked No. 4 in the NAIA and No. 7 in the East Regional.
• The highlight match came against the No. 18 player in the region from Cardinal Stritch (Wis.) as Popa earned a 6-3, 6-4 win to conclude the flawless week.
• This is Popa’s first National Player of the Week honor.
Nominees: Nathan Bogle, Marian (Ind.); Marcelo Balderrama, Arizona Christian; Nick Mentgen, Morningside (Iowa); Catalin Fifea of , Xavier (La.); Jordan Cox , Georgia Gwinnett; Gabe Johnson, Bethel (Kan.); Ryo Takeda, Georgetown (Ky.); Denis Porcic, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Luis Westrick, Cumberlands (Ky.); Brenden Aguilar, Campbellsville (Ky.); Joshua Turnquest, Asbury (Ky.); Scott Radford II, Indiana East; Rhan Burton, Coastal Georgia; Nick Van Amerom, Mobile (Ala.); David Veliz, Southeastern (Fla.); Sean Hajdu, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Davis Zuleta, Ave Maria (Fla.); Juan Bermudez, Lawrence Tech (Mich.)
2017 Men's Tennis Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 22): Radu Popa, Northwestern Ohio