By Nikki Sherrill, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Billy Damon of York (Neb.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week and Robert Winslow from The Master’s (Calif.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Damon and Winslow were selected based on their performances from April 3 – 9 and were chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institution award winners.
Baseball Player of the Week
Billy Damon, York (Neb.)
6-2, Jr., C, Reno, Nev.
• Over No. 7 Tabor (Kan.), Damon went 9-of-13 during his time at bat.
• Of the nine hits, six were home runs, including one grand slam on the week.
• In three games, Damon went past the fences twice to earn two home runs in each of the three contests.
• Batted .692 for the week and earned a slugging percentage of 2.15.
• This is Damon’s first National Player of the Week honor.
Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Robert Winslow, The Master’s (Calif.)
6-5, So., P, Saugus, Calif.
• Struck out a career-high 14 batters and allowed only eight hits against No. 9 Menlo (Calif.).
• In the 3-2 victory Winslow allowed only two walks.
• With the win, Winslow now has four to his name.
• In the NAIA, Winslow ranks No. 10 in total innings pitched (73.1).
• This is Winslow’s first National Player of the Week honor.
For the complete national player of the week award, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Zach Jones, Harris-Stowe State (Mo.); Trevor Behrent, Bryan (Tenn.); William Garcia, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Chris Mangus, Indiana South Bend; Jordan Jackson, Marian (Ind.); Michael Sexton, The Master's (Calif.); Cole Chapin, Morningside (Iowa); Dustyn Macaluso, Central Methodist (Mo.); Kyle Anulao, Fisher (Mass.); Troy Allen, Crowley's Ridge (Ark.); Jesse Fisher, College of the Ozarks (Mo.); Brady Shoppe, Georgia Gwinnett; Reynaldo Moreta, Fisher (Mass.); Zane Howard, Central Christian (Kan.); Rayden Sierra, Cumberland (Tenn.); Derik Bontempo, Bellevue (Neb.); Jacob Benolken, Huston-Tillotson (Texas); Emmanuel Lopez, Point Park (Pa.); Lane Milligan, Oklahoma City; James Land, William Carey (Miss.); David Palenzuela, St. Thomas (Fla.); Andrew Figueroa, Davenport (Mich.)
Pitcher Nominees: Camron Shipley, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Aaron Ford, Tennessee Wesleyan; Thomas Peterson, La Sierra (Calif.); Kris Jackson, Corban (Ore.); Matt Sandoval , Purdue Northwest (Ind.); Tanner Wyse, Huntington (Ind.); Andrew Kuta, Hastings (Neb.); Axl Parra, Graceland (Iowa); Raymundo Gomez, Fisher (Mass.); Wilson Teague, Crowley's Ridge (Ark.); Collan Thrasher, College of the Ozarks (Mo.); Yoberth Marchan, Bethany (Kan.); Nick Przybylek, Campbellsville (Ky.); Ben Mckendall, Bellevue (Neb.); Jb Martinez, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Nicholas Beardsley, Point Park (Pa.); Stephen Yancey, Texas Wesleyan; Mason Klotz, Middle Georgia State; Erne Valdes, St. Thomas (Fla.); Kyle Wolter, Lawrence Tech (Mich.)
2016-17 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 21): Nolan Krivijanski, Point Park (Pa.), Randy Ventura, Science & Arts (Okla.)
Week 2 (March 28): Logan Underhill, Martin Methodist (Tenn.); Brandon Shaffer, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 3 (April 4): Derik Bontempo, Bellevue (Neb.); Nicholas Beardsley, Point Park (Pa.)
Week 4 (April 11): Billy Damon, York (Neb.); Robert Winslow, The Master’s (Calif.)