By Spencer Scheve, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Sam Klinsky of Aquinas (Mich.) was selected as this week’s NAIA Men’s Lacrosse Offensive Player of the Week, while Robert Ates of Missouri Baptist is this week’s National Defensive Player of the Week. They were selected for their performances during the week of April 10 – 16 and were chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners. This is the final Men’s Lacrosse Players of the Week award of the 2017 season.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Sam Klinsky, Aquinas (Mich.)
So., A, Crystal Lake, Ill.
• Klinsky helped push the Saints to a 2-0 week, including an upset victory over then-No. 5 Siena Heights (Mich.) and then-RV Michigan-Dearborn.
• In the 17-16 upset of No. 5 Siena Heights, Klinsky scored seven goals, including the game-winning OT goal to complete the upset victory.
• Followed the win by recording five goals and four assists in a 25-10 decisive win against Michigan-Dearborn.
• Klinsky fired 63 percent while adding six ground balls on the week.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Robert Ates, Missouri Baptist
So., GK, O’Fallon, Ill.
• Ates helped lead the Spartans to a 16-8 upset victory over then-No. 4 Indiana Tech.
• Earned a save percentage of .680.
• Ates tied his season-high saves (17) while holding the No. 1 offense in the NAIA to only eight goals.
• Held the Warriors to two first-half goals and made several key saves in the second to mother any chance of a comeback.
• This is his first honor of the season.
Offensive Nominees: Rob Pasquale, SUNY-Delhi; Sean Hess, Missouri Baptist; Cole Hennings, Reinhardt (Ga.); Ryan Barnes, Missouri Valley
Defensive Nominees: Connor Filiberto, SUNY-Delhi; Grant Sufferling, Reinhardt (Ga.); Matt Mulcahy, Aquinas (Mich.); Austin Degross, Missouri Valley
2017 Men's Lacrosse Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (March 1): Dakota Lambing, Cumberlands (Ky.), Justin Flint, Keiser (Fla.)
Week 2 (March 8): Tyler Hooper, Siena Heights (Mich.), Tristan Burkhard, Lawrence Tech (MI)
Week 3 (March 15): Conner Mishler, Lourdes (Ohio), Luke Wyatt, Cumberlands (Ky.)
Week 4 (March 22): Dakota Lambing, Cumberlands (Ky.), Tristan Burkhard, Lawrence Tech (MI)
Week 5 (March 29): Austin Ambrose, Reinhardt (Ga.), Mackinley Morgan, Saint Mary (Kan.)
Week 6 (April 5): Tyler Hooper, Siena Heights (Mich.), Will McKinney, Indiana Tech
Week 7 (April 12): Austin Ambrose, Reinhardt (Ga.), Will McKinney, Indiana Tech
Week 8 (April 19): Robert Ates, Missouri Baptist, Sam Klinsky, Aquinas (Mich.)