By Nikki Sherrill, Athletic Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Antoine Richard of Xavier (La.) has been named the NAIA National Men's Tennis Player of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Richard was selected based on his performances from April 10 – 16 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Men's Tennis Player of the Week
Antoine Richard, Xavier (La.)
Fr., Laval, Quebec
• Became the first NAIA Men’s player this season to beat an NCAA Division II opponent with a top-10 national ranking when he took down No. 3 Alex Peyrot of West Florida, 7-2.
• Secured Xavier’s 17-consecutive home victory.
• Improves to 9-4 in singles play and 9-3 for doubles this season.
• Helped his No. 2 NAIA squad to a road-win against NCAA Division I Jackson State (Miss.).
• This is Richard’s National Player of the Week honor.
Nominees: Oscar Barreiro, William Woods (Mo.); Steven Tracy, Point (Ga.); Anders Sandberg, St. Francis (Ill.); Grayson McCartney, Doane (Neb.); Illia Filanchuk, Tabor (Kan.); Sheldon Hawthorne, Southwestern (Kan.); Mitchell Byers, Kansas Wesleyan; Chrys Castro, Campbellsville (Ky.); Bernardo Pegas, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Deuce Gibson, Asbury (Ky.); Christian Hansson, William Carey (Miss.); Gjorgji Popovski, Northwestern Ohio; Nicholas Aguirre, Indiana Tech
2017 Men's Tennis Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 22): Radu Popa, Northwestern Ohio
Week 2 (March 29): Asad Siyyid, Point (Ga.)
Week 3 (April 5): Kevin Konfederak, Georgia Gwinnett
Week 4 (April 12): Theo Baudin, Northwestern Ohio
Week 5 (April 19): Antoine Richard, Xavier (La.)