Story by Chad Waller, NAIA Director of Athletic Communications & Media
Pictures courtesy of Paul Penders Photography, Click HERE to order
CLERMONT, Fla. – (Box Score) (Bracket) Gabby Sandoval bounced back from a rough outing in the World Series opener and led No. 6 seed Southern Oregon to a 9-0 shutout of No. 9 seed Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.) in an elimination game Monday at the NAIA Softball World Series. Sandoval allowed eight hits in the complete-game blanking, three days after giving up four earned runs in 1.1 innings against Marian (Ind.). The 38th annual event is hosted by PFX Athletics for the second-straight year.
- Southern Oregon survives to face the loser of No. 3 Marian (Ind.) / No. 10 Columbia (Mo.) Tuesday at Noon EDT in the elimination bracket.
- With a 1-2 World Series record, the loss ends the Freed-Hardeman season with a 36-16 mark.
Key Turning Point of the Game:
- The Raiders offense delivered big hits all day. They scored multiple runs in four different innings.
- In the top of the first inning, Southern Oregon scored two runs on three hits to take a 2-0 lead.
- The Raiders finished with nine runs on eight hits, including two extra-base knocks.
- Southern Oregon pitcher Gabby Sandoval ended her day in the circle with four strikeouts. She improved to 25-6 on the year.
- Of the eight hits allowed, six of them were singles.
- In the Friday loss to Marian (Ind.), Sandoval faced seven batters allowing four runs in the start. She gave up four hits, a walk and hit a batter.
- In the fifth inning, Southern Oregon’s Harlee Donovan smashed her 12th home run of the season and second of the World Series. Donovan went 1-for-2 with two walks, three RBI and three runs scored.
- With the three RBI, Donovan stands with 75 on the year, good for third in the NAIA.
- Tayler Walker and Karlee Coughlin each rapped out two base hits to lead Southern Oregon.
- The top of the Freed-Hardeman order went 4-for-8. Caitlyn Carter, who posted a seventh-inning triple, and Emily Bombard were the offensive spark for the Lady Lions.
- With a 2-1 record in the World Series, Southern Oregon improves to 4-3 in its second-ever appearance.
- In its first World Series, Freed-Hardeman falls to 1-2 all-time.
- There have been five home runs hit by four different players in this World Series.
- The team scoring first through nine games now is 7-3.
- The home team stands 3-7.
- The higher seeds now hold a 7-3 record thus far in the World Series.
To follow all the action, with live stats, live video, bracket and more, CLICK HERE