SIOUX CITY, Iowa – (Box Score) In the opening game of the second round, Jamestown (N.D.) has defeated Indiana Tech by a final score of 82-63 in the 2018 NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball National Championship. McKayla Orr led the Jimmies with 18, but the bench stole the show with a total of 37 points for Jamestown.
- The first game of the second round pitted No. 2 seeded Jamestown against No. 3 seeded Indiana Tech. Jamestown defeated Cardinal Stritch (Wis.) in the first round by a score of 65-51, while the Indiana Tech Warriors defeated Bryan (Tenn.) by a score of 76-60.
- The Jimmies and Warrirors were back and forth the entire first quarter, having the game tied four separate times and three lead changes. Deann Kauffman’s eight for the Warriors and McKayla Orr’s six for the Jimmies led each team, as Jamestown built a two-point first quarter lead. Jamestown’s bench scored 10 points in the first quarter for the Jimmies, outscoring their own starters by one.
- A quick 5-0 run to start the second helped the Jimmies to build a seven-point lead before the Warriors called a timeout with 6:11 left in the half. But the Jimmies did not stop there, as they continued to increase their lead to 14 at its peak. That 14 point lead carried the Jimmies into halftime as they led 39-25 headed into the second half. The Jimmies outscored the Warriors by 12 and held them to just eight second quarter points and two made shots.
- The Jimmies continued control of the game in the third, increasing their lead to 17 heading into the final quarter of the game.
- The fourth quarter mirrored the rest of the game, as the Jimmies grew their lead to 30 with just under five minutes to play. Indiana Tech’s late game push decreased the lead, but Jamestown would eventually win the game leading by 19.
- The Jimmies continued dominance through two games in the tournament has led them to a quarterfinal appearance this year. Jamestown will await the outcome of Concordia (Neb.) and Taylor (Ind.) to find out who they will face tomorrow at 3:00 P.M. in the quarterfinals