By Alan Grosbach, Associate Director of Athletics Communications and Media
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Defending national champion Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) opens the season ranked No. 1 in the NAIA Baseball Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. The Warriors claimed all 17 first-place votes and 467 total points en route to the top spot.
Top 25 Highlights (information dates back to 2000)
• Lewis-Clark State enters the 2018 season coming off its third-straight and 19th all-time World Series title. The Warriors defeated No. 2 Faulkner (Ala.), 6-4, in the title game.
• Lewis-Clark State has held the No. 1 ranking in the preseason poll three-straight seasons.
• The Warriors own the longest active streak in the Top 25 at 164-straight mentions.
• No. 21 St. Thomas (Fla.) is the lone newcomer to the Top 25. The Bobcats, who finished last season with a 35-19 record, were picked to finish third in the 2018 The Sun Conference Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
• Lewis-Clark State leads all active members with 60 total No. 1 mentions, dating back to 2000. Ten other teams have been ranked No. 1 in at least two polls: No. 3 Oklahoma City (34), No. 2 Faulkner (13), former member Lubbock Christian (Texas) (13), former member Embry-Riddle (Fla.) (11), No. 12 Georgia Gwinnett (8), LSU Shreveport (La.) (6), former member Lee (Tenn.) (6), Cumberland (Tenn.) (6) and No. 13 Tennessee Wesleyan (2).
• The Sun Conference leads all leagues with four teams represented – No. 4 Southeastern (Fla.), No. 10 Keiser (Fla.), St. Thomas and No. 25 Webber International (Fla.)
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• The frequency of the polls is bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) prior to the 2016-17 academic season. This change allows raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work between rating periods.
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2017 NAIA Baseball Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll (November 7, 2017)
|RANK||PRVS*||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2017 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) (17)||40-14||467|
|T6||4||William Carey (Miss.)||45-20||380|
|8||10||Hope International (Calif.)||35-18||352|
|11||8||Science & Arts (Okla.)||45-17||319|
|14||5||The Master’s (Calif.)||41-23||270|
|15||13||Middle Georgia State||46-16||250|
|18||16||University of Northwestern Ohio||44-12||230|
|19||15||IU Southeast (Ind.)||48-15||215|
|21||RV||St. Thomas (Fla.)||35-19||154|
|24||25||Central Methodist (Mo.)||42-17||105|
|25||24||Webber International (Fla.)||39-17||72|
Others receiving votes: LSU Shreveport (La.) 65; Huntington (Ind.) 53; Jamestown (N.D.) 51; Bryan (Tenn.) 43; Cumberlands (Ky.) 42; Vanguard (Calif.) 36; Friends (Kan.) 25; Antelope Valley (Calif.) 17; Concordia (Neb.) 17; Concordia (Mich.) 6; Westmont (Calif.) 4; Judson (Ill.) 3.
*Ranking from 2017 postseason poll