Story by Chad Waller, NAIA Director of Athletic Communications & Media
Pictures courtesy of Paul Penders Photography, Click HERE to order
CLERMONT, Fla. – (Box Score) (Bracket) No. 4 seed Science & Arts (Okla.) posted six runs in the top of the seventh inning and defeated No. 5 seed Indiana Wesleyan, 6-0, this afternoon of Day 1 at the 2018 NAIA Softball World Series at Legends Way Ball Fields. The 38th annual event is hosted by PFX Athletics for the second-straight year.
- Science and Arts advances in the winner’s bracket to face the winner of No. 1 Georgia Gwinnett / No. 9 Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.) at 3:30 p.m. EDT on Monday.
- Indiana Wesleyan falls to the elimination bracket and will play No. 8 Faulkner (Ala.) on Saturday at 10 a.m. EDT.
Key Turning Point of the Game:
- With the game scoreless heading into the seventh inning, the Science & Arts bats came alive. The Drovers notched six runs with two outs – all unearned – to earn the victory.
- Keely Kingsley started the scoring with an RBI single to left. One batter later, Dakota Clouse padded the lead at 2-0 with an infield RBI hit.
- Chloe Clifton had the big blow with a bases-clearing double to the right-center gap. Those three runs gave USAO a 5-0 lead.
- Clifton came around to score courtesy of a defensive error to round out the scoring.
- Science & Arts pitcher Emily Cerny allowed six hits and zero walks in the complete-game shutout. She fanned eight batters.
- Five of the six base hits allowed were singles.
- Cerny moved to 30-4 on the year, one win shy of the NAIA national lead.
- In 37 season appearances, Cerny now pushed her season shutouts to 12.
- Keely Kingsley and Randa Hatter each ended with a pair of hits for the Drovers.
- Chloe Clifton cleared the bases with a seventh-inning double and finished with three RBI.
- Indiana Wesleyan’s Kelsey Kooistra went 2-for-3 at the dish in the losing effort.
- In their last four games, the Drovers own a 25-6 scoring advantage.
- Science & Arts improves to 7-8 all-time in the World Series, including a 3-1 mark in Game 1.
- Indiana Wesleyan slides down to 1-5 in the World Series, including a 0-3 record in Game 1.
- The team scoring first through three games is 2-1.
- The home team through three games is 1-2.
- The lower seeds now hold a 2-1 record thus far in the World Series.
To follow all the action, with live stats, live video, bracket and more, CLICK HERE