Story by Chad Waller, NAIA Director of Athletic Communications & Media
Pictures courtesy of Paul Penders Photography, Click HERE to order
CLERMONT, Fla. – (Box Score) (Bracket) Hannah Shimek’s run in the third inning was the game-winner for No. 6 Southern Oregon in the Raiders 2-1 victory eliminating No. 3-seed Marian (Ind.) on Tuesday afternoon at the NAIA Softball World Series. The 38th annual event is hosted by PFX Athletics for the second-straight year.
- Southern Oregon remains alive in the elimination bracket and will face No. 2 Oklahoma City Wednesday at 10 a.m. EDT.
- With a 1-2 record this year in the World Series, Marian ends its season with a 51-7 mark.
Key Turning Point of the Game:
- With the score tied 1-1 in the top of the third inning, Raider Hannah Shimek opened the frame with a single. After a steal of second, she advanced to third on a fly out.
- Rebecca Velasquez sent Shimek home on a single to center field.
- Shimek posted two stolen bases on the day, pushing her season total to 36. She ranks in the top-15 in the NAIA in that category.
- Southern Oregon pitcher Gabby Sandoval was clutch in the circle for the second-straight day. She moved to 26-6 with the complete-game six-hitter.
- Sandoval collected two strikeouts and walked two batters.
- In the win Monday against Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.), Sandoval went the distance to post the shutout. She finished with four strikeouts.
- Game Notes:
- Both teams had quality pitching from their starters. Sandavol got the win and was impressive with six hits allowed and one run. Marian pitcher Shelby Herron finished with two runs allowed (one earned) on eight hits. She also fanned four batters.
- All of the 14 combined hits by the teams were singles.
- In their second World Series, the Raiders play on with a 5-3 event record.
- Marian wraps up the 2018 World Series with a 2-8 postseason record. The Knights competed in their fourth event.
- There have been six home runs hit by five different players in this World Series.
- The team scoring first through 14 games now is 10-4.
- The home team stands 5-9.
- The higher seeds now hold a 7-7 record thus far in the World Series.
To follow all the action, with live stats, live video, bracket and more, CLICK HERE