KANSAS CITY, Mo. –Vanguard (Calif.) locked in the No. 1 spot for the second time in a row in the 2018-19 NAIA Division I Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000):
- Vanguard has opened the season with an unblemished record of 7-0.
- The Lions are one of the top three schools that have been ranked No. 1 the longest in NAIA history and are working their way up one poll at a time only seven behind the current leader.
- New to the poll this week: No. 15 Talladega (Ala.), No. 20 William Penn (Iowa), No. 23 Baker (Kan.) and No. 25 Dillard (La.)
- Oklahoma City holds the longest active streak in the Top 25 with 247 total appearances dating back to 1997-98 school year.
- Union (Tenn.) and Vanguard (Calif.) are the only programs to have spent an entire season ranked No. 1 (Union: 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11) (Vanguard: 2005-06, 2006-07).
- Union (Tenn.) leads all NAIA school with 53 No. 1 rankings. Oklahoma City is second with 50 and Vanguard (Calif.) is third with 46.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the team appears on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
- The frequency of polls occurs bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2016-17 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
- For the complete rating calendar, click here.
2018-19 NAIA Division I Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 1 (Dec. 4)
|RANK||WEEK||SCHOOL [FIRST PLACE VOTES]||RECORD||POINTS|
|1||1||Vanguard (Calif.) ||7-0||218|
|2||5||Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.) ||9-0||213|
|3||6||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||6-0||201|
|6||12||MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)||9-1||183|
|7||2||Shawnee State (Ohio)||8-2||176|
|12||15||Our Lady of the Lake (Texas)||5-1||147|
|17||13||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||6-3||101|
|18||24||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||8-1||98|
|20||NR||William Penn (Iowa)||8-1||93|
|22||14||The Master's (Calif.)||5-3||76|
|24||11||Central Methodist (Mo.)||6-3||59|
Others receiving votes: Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) 39, William Woods (Mo.) 32, Mid-America Christian (Okla.) 31, LSU Alexandria (La.) 15, Clarke (Iowa) 10, Xavier (La.) 10, Huston-Tillotson (Texas) 9, William Jessup (Calif.) 6, Faulkner (Ala.) 3, Georgetown (Ky.) 3