By Lexi Naegele, Athletic Communications Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Oklahoma City takes the first regular season No. 1 ranking in the NAIA Men’s Cross Country Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, for the second week in a row, announced the national office on Wednesday.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999):
• After being ranked at No. 3 in the 2017 postseason poll, Oklahoma City has captured the No. 1 rank in the 2018 preseason and first regular-season poll.
• Oklahoma City opened their 2018 season at the Western Oklahoma Showcase and finished second out of six teams.
• Southern Oregon holds the record for the most No. 1 rankings with 34 all time.
• Southern Oregon also holds the record for the longest active streak of being in the Top 25 with 92 straight appearances, dating back to 2008.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is represented by one rater.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.” For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2018 Men’s Cross Country Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 1
|RANK||LAST TIME||SCHOOL [FIRST PLACE VOTES]||POINTS|
|1||1||Oklahoma City ||557|
|2||2||Columbia (Mo.) ||530|
|4||4||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||495|
|5||6||College of Idaho||472|
|6||9||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||467|
|8||NR||Madonna (Mich.) ||439|
|9||7||Saint Mary (Kan.)||422|
|11||5||St. Francis (Ill.)||376|
|16||16||The Master's (Calif.)||297|
|18||21||Shawnee State (Ohio)||243|
|22||NR||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||179|
Others Receiving Votes: Campbellsville (Ky.) 95, Northwestern (Iowa) 92, Northwest Christian 76, Reinhardt (Ga.) 37, Carroll (Mont.) 32, SCAD Savannah (Ga.) 23, Hope International (Calif.) 22, Bethel (Tenn.) 11, Point Park (Pa.) 10, Goshen (Ind.) 5, Ohio Christian 4, Saint Xavier (Ill.) 4, Cumberland (Tenn.) 4, Benedictine (Kan.) 3.