NAIA Football Players of the Week – No. 1
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Justus Dauscha of Cumberland (Tenn.), Melvin Mason of Southern Oregon and Mike Self of Cumberland were named NAIA Football National Players of the Week, the national office announced Monday. Dauscha, Mason and Self were chosen for their performances during the week of Sept. 1 – 7 and were selected out of a pool of conference and independent award winners.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Justus Dauscha, Cumberland (Tenn.)
So., DL, Murfreesboro, Tenn.
• Collected a career-high 10 tackles (three solo), including three tackles for loss and one sack in the No. 25 Bulldogs 34-27 victory against No. 4 Cumberlands (Ky.) on Sept. 6.
• Forced a fumble just before halftime that helped Cumberland maintain a 20-13 lead. Prior to the fumble, the Patriots had the ball on the Cumberland 8-yard line with under a minute to go.
• Claims his first career NAIA National Defensive Player of the Week honor.
• Dauscha and Mike Self are the first teammates to claim national weekly honors in the same week since Jimmy Coy and Tom Lynch of Saint Xavier (Ill.) accomplished the feat on Oct. 3, 2012
National Offensive Player of the Week
Melvin Mason, Southern Oregon
So., RB, Vacaville, Calif.
• Recorded 202 of No. 22 Southern Oregon’s 280 rushing yards in the Raiders 38-35 victory over No. 2 Carroll (Mont.) in the NAIA Football Game of the Week on Sept. 6.
• His 202 rushing yards is the second-best single-game output of his career, trailing a 236-yard effort against NCAA Division I FCS Sacramento State (Calif.) on Sept. 14, 2014
• Posted two runs of 40-plus yards, including a 40-yard touchdown scamper at the 10:49 mark of the second quarter.
• Set a new career-high with three rushing touchdowns
• Previously named NAIA National Offensive Player of the Week on Sept. 16, 2013
National Special Teams Player of the Week
Mike Self, Cumberland (Tenn.)
Jr., K/P, Lebanon, Tenn.
• Kicked a 31- and 47-yard field goal in No. 25 Cumberland’s (Tenn.) 34-27 victory over No. 4 Cumberlands (Ky.) on Sept. 6.
• He was 2-for-2 in PAT attempts.
• Recorded six punts for 172 yards, including a long of 47 yards.
• Claims first career Special Teams Player of the Week honor.
• Self and Justus Dauscha are the first teammates to claim national weekly honors in the same week since Jimmy Coy and Tom Lynch of Saint Xavier (Ill.) accomplished the feat on Oct. 3, 2012
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Calvin Jacobson, Avila (Mo.); Justin Summers, Dakota State (S.D.); Terrell Robinson, Faulkner (Ala.); Francois Barnaud, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Lamont Wims, Robert Morris (Ill.); Derek Fulton, Grand View (Iowa); Mark Wright, Langston (Okla.); Simon McKee, Tabor (Kan.); Darrin Davis, Warner (Fla.).
Defensive Nominees: Austin Ross, Dakota State (S.D.); Cody Schwerin, Taylor (Ind.); Cody Bonte, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Keshaun Malone, Bacone (Okla.); Sequente Marks, Friends (Kan.); Adam Novak, Baker (Kan.); Deshon Conley, William Penn (Iowa); Loronza Smith, Warner (Fla.); Adam DeBruycker, Carroll (Mont.).
Special Teams Nominees: Erik Zamudio, Culver-Stockton (Mo.); Wynn Coggin, Taylor (Ind.); Trey Tully, Oklahoma Baptist; Daniel Porter, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Derek Racette, Friends (Kan.); Ante Rogic, William Penn (Iowa); Caleb Winter, Southeastern (Fla.); Jordan Rueschhoff, Montana State-Northern.
2014 NAIA Football Players of the Week (complete schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 8)
Offense: Melvin Mason, Southern Oregon
Defense: Justus Dauscha, Cumberland (Tenn.)
Special Teams: Mike Self, Cumberland (Tenn.)