NAIA Volleyball Player of the Week – No. 2
Photo by Dale Grosbach Photography
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Wendy Romero of Park (Mo.) has been named the NAIA Volleyball National Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Romero was selected based on her performances from Sept. 8 – 14 and was chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Player of the Week
Wendy Romero, Park (Mo.)
Jr., OH, Cojedes, San Carlos, Venezuela
• Guided Park (Mo.) to wins over Judson (Ill.) (3-0), Clarke (Iowa) (3-0), then-No. 4 Viterbo (Wis.) (3-0) and then-No. 5 Northwestern (Iowa) (3-1) at the Ashford University (Iowa) Invitational on Sept. 12 – 13. The victories against Viterbo and Northwestern are the program’s first-ever against a top-five opponent.
• Romero recorded double-doubles in three of Park’s four matches, including a 19-kill and 11-dig performance against Viterbo.
• Averaged 5.08 kills per set and hit .385, while also totaling nine blocks and six service aces.
• She enters the week ranked sixth nationally in service aces with 30, while holding down the No. 8 spot in hitting percentage (.376) and kills per set (4.38).
• Earns her first career NAIA National Player of the Year honor.
• Last Park National Volleyball Player of the Week: Patricia Souza (Sept. 4, 2012).
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Caitlin Brickley, Columbia (S.C.); Jordan Jones, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.); Casey Loper, Eastern Oregon; Erynn Schuh, Trinity Christian (Ill.); Morgan Miller, Indiana Wesleyan; Yang Yang, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Amy Weststeyn, Biola (Calif.); Karlie Schut, Northwestern (Iowa); Chinedu Echebelem, Xavier (La.); Kamrin Gold, Culver-Stockton (Mo.); Michaela Gardner, Ashford (Iowa); Lizzie Michalski, Johnson & Wales (Colo.); Hayley Ray, Sterling (Kan.); Lael Larrick, IU Kokomo; Caraline Maher, Georgetown (Ky.); Alexis Anderson, College of Saint Mary (Neb.); Natalie Geidel, Viterbo (Wis.); Carly Rozell, Dakota State (S.D.); Bojana Mitrovic, Texas at Brownsville; Shahala Hawkins, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Maddie Bounds, Coastal Georgia; Dana Nowaczyk, St. Thomas (Fla.); Chanel Cantere, Northwestern Ohio.
2014 NAIA Volleyball Players of the Week (complete schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 9) – Yang Yang, Rocky Mountain (Mont.)
Week 2 (Sept. 16) – Wendy Romero, Park (Mo.)