NAIA Women’s Soccer Players of the Week – No. 2
By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Inma Martinez of Missouri Valley and Nicole Franklin of Concordia (Ore.) were named NAIA Women’s Soccer National Players of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Martinez and Franklin were selected for their play during the week of Sept. 8-14 and were chosen out of the conference and independent award winners.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Inma Martinez, Missouri Valley
Fr., F, Madrid, Spain
• Martinez was an offensive force this week for Missouri Valley – tallying eight goals and 16 points over three games – leading the Vikings to a perfect 3-0 record. She helped her squad outscore its opponents 13-2 during that stretch, averaging 2.67 goals per contest.
• Martinez recorded back-to-back hat tricks in her last two games, including one against No. 21 St. Ambrose (Iowa) on Sept. 14. Missouri Valley ran away with the win, 4-1.
• She leads the Vikings with nine goals this year, as her team upped its win total to 4-1-1.
• This is Martinez’s first NAIA National Offensive Player of the Week award.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Nicole Franklin, Concordia (Ore.)
Jr., GK, Hillsboro, Ore.
• Franklin posted a career-high six saves in a 2-1 road victory over No. 2 Westmont (Calif.) in the NAIA Women’s Soccer Game of the Week on Sept. 12. It was a rematch of the 2013 national championship.
• In the Cavaliers’ next game on Sept. 14, Franklin broke her own saves-mark with seven stops against Kansas Wesleyan. Concordia won the contest, 1-0.
• So far in 2014, Franklin has a .042 goal against average, helping lead her top-ranked club to a 7-0-1 record.
• This is her first NAIA National Defensive Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Anna Waldman, Lyon (Ark.); Kristin Clegg, Reinhardt (Ga.); Amie Jepsen, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.); Amanda Hisey, Oregon Tech; Johanna Joensson, Robert Morris (Ill.); Megan Griffith, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Danielle De La Vina, Great Falls (Mont.); Madison Cody, Vanguard (Calif.); Megan Johnson, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Katelyn Christensen, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Autumn Surage, Ottawa (Kan.); Shauna Gilpin, Cumberland (Tenn.); Betsy Fischenich, Bellevue (Neb.); Morgan Davis, Viterbo (Wis.); Aimee Longley, Bacone (Okla.); Braydi Frederick, John Brown (Ark.); Claudia Saucedo, William Carey (Miss.); Anne Bateman, Ave Maria (Fla.); Alice Coyne, Northwestern Ohio.
Defensive Nominees: Brittany Griffin, William Woods (Mo.); Katie Hale, Reinhardt (Ga.); Desiree Coles, UC Merced; Tavia Anderson, Robert Morris (Ill.); Abby Schue, Grace (Ind.); Kandace Leliefeld, Great Falls (Mont.); Hayleigh Lamping, William Jessup (Calif.); Kalynn Sortino, Briar Cliff (Iowa); Sam Savio, Central Methodist (Mo.); Nyla Peterkin, Ashford (Iowa); Destinee Evans, Ottawa (Kan.); Brooke Perkins, Asbury (Ky.); Johanna Henriksson, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Kate Petersen, Bellevue (Neb.); Hannah Schroeder, Mount Mercy (Iowa); Adriana Torres, St. Thomas (Texas); Ashley Bechtold, Oklahoma City; Linfah Jones, William Carey (Miss.); Francesca Singleton, Ave Maria (Fla.); Hannah Baines, Northwestern Ohio.
2014 NAIA Women’s Soccer Players of the Week (complete schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 9)
Offensive: Caryn Welch, Avila (Mo.)
Defensive: Lexi Gochnauer, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)
Week 2 (Sept. 16)
Offensive: Inma Martinez, Missouri Valley
Defensive: Nicole Franklin, Concordia (Ore.)