NAIA Women’s Soccer Players of the Week – No. 6 (Oct. 14)
By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information InternKANSAS CITY, MO. – Samantha Yasatan of Trinity International (Ill.) and Lindsay Armstrong of Aquinas (Mich.) were named NAIA Women’s Soccer National Players of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Yasatan and Armstrong were selected for their play during the week of Oct. 6-12 and were chosen out of the conference and independent award winners.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Samantha Yasatan, Trinity International (Ill.)
Junior, Forward, Racine, Wis.
• Helped lead the Trojans to a 2-0 record this week with wins over Saint Xavier (Ill.) and Calumet (Ind.) by a combined score of 12-1.
• She scored six times in the victories – including four goals against Calumet in the first 28 minutes – moving her into a fourth-place tie this year on the NAIA’s single-season goal scoring list.
• Yasatan has 20 goals in 11 matches, a 1.82 goals-per-match average, which ranks second in the NAIA.
• This is her first NAIA National Player of the Week honor.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Lindsay Armstrong, Aquinas (Mich.)
Junior, Goalkeeper, Fruitport, Mich.
• Manned the net for Aquinas in a pair of 1-0 victories, including a match against then-No. 14 Davenport (Mich.).
• In 180 minutes of game action last week, Armstrong lowered her goals against average to 0.38 this season.
• In 13 matches, she has allowed five scores, recorded seven shutouts and currently holds a .906 save percentage.
• This is Armstrong’s first NAIA National Player of the Week honor.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Kelly Ross, Columbia (Mo.); Amber Tanner, Columbia (S.C.); Jelissa Blanco, Menlo (Calif.); Acacia Johnson, Northwest (Wash.); Corrie Good, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Madison Quinn, Great Falls (Mont.); Natalie Werner, Concordia (Calif.); Taylor Geis, Hastings (Neb.); Bethany Smith, Benedictine (Kan.); Abbie Woods, Southwestern (Kan.); Teryn Wright, Asbury (Ky.); Sarah Hencke, Georgetown (Ky.); Mercy Darkoah, Bellevue (Neb.); Molly Machometa, Viterbo (Wis.); Monica Mendes, Texas at Brownsville; Ailee Thompson, Oklahoma Baptist; Kassandra Carpintero, Faulkner (Ala.); Johanna Engberg, Northwood (Fla.); Alice Coyne, Northwestern Ohio.
Defensive Nominees: Laurie Frew, Columbia (Mo.); Jessica Griffith, St. Andrews (N.C.); Desiree Coles, UC Merced; Kelsey Greene, Northwest (Wash.); Erika Brinkman, Purdue Calumet (Ind.); Shannon Balcer, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Kandace Leliefeld, Great Falls (Mont.); Lauren Terry, Vanguard (Calif.); Mallory Taylor, Hastings (Neb.); Sam Savio, Central Methodist (Mo.); Nyla Peterkin, Ashford (Iowa); Annie Kessler, Ottawa (Kan.); Paige Manning, Point Park (Pa.); Zoe Stovik, Georgetown (Ky.); Katy Keefer, York (Neb.); Sam Zobott, Viterbo (Wis.); Erika Thompson, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Nikki Lockwood, Texas Wesleyan; Cate Eden, Faulkner (Ala.); Jordan Martin, Warner (Fla.).
2014-15 Women's Soccer Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (September 9): Lexi Gochnauer, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.), Caryn Welch, Avila (Mo.)
Week 2 (September 16): Nicole Franklin, Concordia (Ore.), Inma Martinez, Missouri Valley
Week 3 (September 23): Allison Keeney, Rio Grande (Ohio), Megan Johnson, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)
Week 4 (September 30): Jazmin Alvarez, Concordia (Calif.), Natasha Coyle, The Master's (Calif.)
Week 5 (October 7): Brittany Houghton, College of Idaho, Shauna Gilpin, Cumberland (Tenn.)
Week 6 (Oct. 14): Lindsay Armstrong, Aquinas (Mich.), Samantha Yasatan, Trinity International (Ill.)