KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Michael Fulton of Martin Methodist (Tenn.) has been named the NAIA National Men’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week and Marcel Schmid of Madonna (Mich.) has been named the NAIA National Men’s Soccer Defensive Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Michael Fulton, Martin Methodist (Tenn.)
6-4, So., F, Glasgow, Scotland
• Totaled five goals in two wins for Martin Methodist (Tenn.) last week, including a netting a pair of scores in a 3-1 win against then-No. 3 Auburn-Montgomery (Ala.).
• Recorded a hat trick in the RedHawks 3-0 win against Faulkner (Ala.). The three goals is a career-high.
• Ended the week with nine shots, including five shots on goal.
• Leads the team in points (21) and goals (8).
• First career NAIA National Offensive Player of the Week award.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Marcel Schmid, Madonna (Mich.)
6-2, So., G, Stuttgart, Germany
• Did not allow a goal in a 2-0 week for Madonna (Mich.) that included an upset of then-No. 4 Davenport (Mich.) – the Crusaders’ first victory over a Top 25 team since the 2008 season.
• Made a season-high seven saves in the 1-0 upset win against Davenport.
• Totaled eight saves in 135 minutes in goal.
• Owns 12 wins this season, which is the most for the Cursaders since the 2008 season.
• First career NAIA National Defensive Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Cesar Acosta, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Tapiwa Kaseke, Milligan (Tenn.); Cody Golbad, UC Merced; Arsinio Walker, Corban (Ore.); Tom Lojek, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Sam Kane, Indiana Wesleyan; Luis Torres, Great Falls (Mont.); Connor Gordon, Concordia (Calif.); Jake Ramsay, Hastings (Neb.); Raul Beneit, Missouri Valley; Adam Wood, Ashford (Iowa); Jordan Garcia, Southwestern (Kan.); Luiz Filho, Rio Grande (Ohio); Roraigh Yearwood, Campbellsville (Ky.); Manuel Lira, Bellevue (Neb.); Kevon Farquharson, Mount Mercy (Iowa); Edrian Negrete, Southwest (N.M.); Kieran McLachlan, Oklahoma City; Stephen McGinn, Webber International (Fla.); Ryan Williams, Madonna (Mich.).
Defensive Nominees: Daniel Ainsworth, Columbia (Mo.); Bruce Olivier, Milligan (Tenn.); Jesus Alvarez, UC Merced; Angel Guerra, Evergreen (Wash.); Miguel David, Purdue Calumet (Ind.); Adam Miller, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Eddie Gutierrez, Great Falls (Mont.); Zachary Williams, Hope International (Calif.); Brendan Buchanan, Concordia (Neb.); Bernardo Ferriz Diaz, Missouri Valley; Danny Calleja, McPherson (Kan.); Jon Dodson, Rio Grande (Ohio); Cj Powell, St. Catharine (Ky.); Luis Sanchez, York (Neb.); G. Kempf-heitlinger, Mount Mercy (Iowa); Archie Massen, Texas at Brownsville; Bryan Byars, Science & Arts (Okla.); Daniel Dunleavy, Martin Methodist (Tenn.); Fernando Zeledon, SCAD Savannah (Ga.).
2014 Men's Soccer Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (September 10): Conor Cable, William Woods (Mo.); Dzenan Catic, Davenport (Mich.)
Week 2 (September 17): Blessing Ngwa, Kansas Wesleyan; Severin Abt, Thomas (Ga.)
Week 3 (September 24): Paul Carr, Point Park (Pa.); Angel Mora, Cal State San Marcos
Week 4 (October 1): Andy Clark, Union (Ky.); Akram El-Nady, Kansas Wesleyan
Week 5 (October 8): Shazz Heale, Midland (Neb.); Humphrey Mahowa, The Master's (Calif.)
Week 6 (October 15): Casey Clark, Doane (Neb.); Dzenan Catic, Davenport (Mich.)
Week 7 (October 22): Alex Guyer, Hastings (Neb.);Tyler Gahara, Fisher (Mass.)
Week 8 (October 28): Marcel Schmid, Madonna (Mich.); Michael Fulton, Martin Methodist (Tenn.)