By Chad Waller, Director of Communications and Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – David Beary of Menlo (Calif.) has been named the NAIA National Men’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week and Brandon Gomez of Vanguard (Calif.) has been named the NAIA National Men’s Soccer Defensive Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday.
National Offensive Player of the Week
David Beary, Menlo (Calif.)
6-0, So., F, La Jolla, Calif.
• Totaled four goals and two assists (10 points) in three wins last week for the Oaks.
• The marker against Cal Maritime on Nov. 4 was the first for Beary since Aug. 25.
• Beary put home two goals in the 6-1 victory against Simpson (Calif.) on Nov. 7.
• Helped Menlo claim the California Pacific Athletic Conference North Division championship.
• Leads the club with nine assists on the year.
• First career NAIA National Offensive Player of the Week award.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Brandon Gomez, Vanguard (Calif.)
5-11, Fr., GK, Los Angeles, Calif.
• Finished with four saves in 2-0 shutout of Biola (Calif.) on Nov. 5.
• In the 2-1 road win at then-No. 24 Concordia (Calif.) on Nov. 8, Beary posted eight saves in 90 minutes.
• That victory against the Eagles secured a home postseason game in the Golden State Athletic Conference tournament.
• Gomez has won five-straight decisions in the net for Vanguard.
• First career NAIA National Defensive Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Ignacio Garrido, Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.); Daniel Branley, Bryan (Tenn.); Luis Valdez, Oregon Tech; Jong Hyun Son, Holy Cross (Ind.); Tyrone Martin, Indiana Wesleyan; Humphrey Mahowa, The Master's (Calif.); Preston Phillips, Baker (Kan.); Mayo Akintunde, Southwestern (Kan.); Grafton Hamilton, Asbury (Ky.); Ashley Woods, St. Catharine (Ky.); Lucas Cordeiro, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Charlie Macinnes, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Clifford Nwechfom, Mobile (Ala.); Sergio Royo, Northwestern Ohio.
Defensive Nominees: Bogachan Akyildiz, Tennessee Wesleyan; Nicholas Krahnke, Menlo (Calif.); Joe White, Warner Pacific (Ore.); Chris Taborn, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Dean Nafziger, Goshen (Ind.); Amer Didic, Baker (Kan.); Cullen Grantham, Southwestern (Kan.); Ian Hamilton, Cumberland (Tenn.); Kenan Sahuric, Bellevue (Neb.); Kyle Williams, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Xavier Audergon, Mobile (Ala.); Ty Vandepoel, Aquinas (Mich.)
2014 Men's Soccer Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (September 10): Conor Cable, William Woods (Mo.); Dzenan Catic, Davenport (Mich.)
Week 2 (September 17): Blessing Ngwa, Kansas Wesleyan; Severin Abt, Thomas (Ga.)
Week 3 (September 24): Paul Carr, Point Park (Pa.); Angel Mora, Cal State San Marcos
Week 4 (October 1): Andy Clark, Union (Ky.); Akram El-Nady, Kansas Wesleyan
Week 5 (October 8): Shazz Heale, Midland (Neb.); Humphrey Mahowa, The Master's (Calif.)
Week 6 (October 15): Casey Clark, Doane (Neb.); Dzenan Catic, Davenport (Mich.)
Week 7 (October 22): Alex Guyer, Hastings (Neb.); Tyler Gahara, Fisher (Mass.)
Week 8 (October 28): Marcel Schmid, Madonna (Mich.); Michael Fulton, Martin Methodist (Tenn.)
Week 9 (November 4): Xavier Audergon, Mobile (Ala.); Alan Craig, Midland (Neb.)
Week 10 (November 12): Brandon Gomez, Vanguard (Calif.); David Beary, Menlo (Calif.)