By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Yolanda De La Torre of Robert Morris (Ill.) has been named the NAIA National Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. De La Torre was selected for her performance from Jan. 5 – Jan. 11. This award is the second of the 2014-15 season.
National Player of the Week
Yolanda De La Torre, Robert Morris (Ill.)
5-11, Sr., F, Country Club Hills, Ill.
• De La Torre helped the Eagles to a perfect 3-0 week, including a 71-64 upset victory over then-No. 8 ranked Purdue Calumet (Ind.) on Jan. 10 in the NAIA Division II Women's Basketball Game of the Week.
• The senior averaged 15 points, 11.3 rebounds, 2.7 blocks and 2.0 steals per game in this week’s three contests, including 22 points and 13 boards in the win over Purdue Calumet.
• On the season, the Country Club Hills, Ill., native averages 15.4 points per game to go along with 9.8 rebounds. Collectively, she has recorded seven double-doubles on the season.
• The Eagles are now 5-2 in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference North Division and 12-3 overall.
• This is De La Torre’s second national award (Feb. 25, 2014).
The third National Women’s Basketball Player of the Week will be announced Jan. 20.
Nominees: Taylor Nashert, Grand View (Iowa); Cassidy Wyse, Taylor (Ind.); Dannisha Pierce, St. Thomas (Fla.) ; April Harpe, Bethel (Kan.); Sarah Vozel, Ashford (Iowa); Rachel Melcher, Madonna (Mich.); Jenna Adams, Tennessee Wesleyan; Jessica Buck, Jamestown (N.D.); Kelly Smit, Central Christian (Kan.); Karen Ettleman, Northwestern (Iowa); Tara Van Weerdhuizen, Corban (Ore.); Carla Booth, Alice Lloyd (Ky.); Laurel Donnenwirth, Menlo (Calif.).
2014-15 Women's Basketball Division II Composite Award Winners (Schedule)
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Dannisha Pierce, St. Thomas (Fla.)
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Yolanda De La Torre, Robert Morris (Ill.)