KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Michael Pixley of Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) has been named the NAIA National Wrestler of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Pixley was chosen based on his performances from Jan. 5 – 11.
National Wrestler of the Week
Michael Pixley, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
184-pound, Fr., Blue Springs, Mo.
• Recorded a 5-0 record at the NWCA NAIA National Duals – his first event of the season – to help Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) to a fifth-place finish at the event.
• Earned 3-2 decisions over top-ranked Christian Mays of Grand View (Iowa) and No. 6 LJ Grayson of Indiana Tech.
• He was dominant in his other three matches, pinning Missouri Valley’s James Smith in 1:27 before claiming a major decision against Bryant Guillen of Baker (Kan.) (16-6) and technical fall against Brocky Leidecker of Cumberlands (Ky.) (21-6).
• Owns a 5-0 record on the year and is currently unranked.
• Earns his first-career National Wrestler of the Week award.
• Last Lindsey Wilson Wrestler of the Week: Jameel Bryant (Feb. 12, 2014)
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Travis Wood, St. Andrews (N.C.); Michael Ruiz, Great Falls (Mont.); Rulin Pederson, Morningside (Iowa); Kevin Corbett, Doane (Neb.); Jake Ekster, Missouri Valley; William Leone, Baker (Kan.); Khalil Abdush-Shakur, Life (Ga.); Nate Knauf, Campbellsville (Ky.); Bj Carman, St. Catharine (Ky.); Grant Burkhalter, Cumberlands (Ky.); Kyle Delaune, Cumberland (Tenn.); Scottie Bonds, William Penn (Iowa); Gustavo Martinez, Grand View (Iowa).
2015 Wrestling Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 7): Joshua Crager, Warner Pacific (Ore.)
Week 2 (Jan. 14): Michael Pixley, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)