2015 Men's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week - No. 1
By: Mike DeVader, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — John Broaden of Indiana Tech has been named NAIA National Men's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week and Levi Hillman of Doane (Neb.) has been selected as the NAIA National Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Broaden and Hillman were selected based on their performances from Jan. 12-18. This is the first award of the 2015 indoor track & field season.
Men's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week
John Broaden, Indiana Tech
Jr., Indianapolis, Ind.
• Broaden, an Indianapolis, Ind., native, won three-of four events he raced in this week in the GVSU (Mich.) Mike Lints Open.
• He also recorded NAIA automatic qualifying times in each contest he ran.
• The junior won both the 60-meter and 200-meter with time of 6.88 and 21.52, respectively. His mark of 21.52 is the top 200-m time in the NAIA so far this season.
• Broaden was also a leg of the winning 4x400-m relay team who was just .49 seconds behind the fastest NAIA time this year.
Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week
Levi Hillman, Doane (Neb.)
Jr., Bennet, Neb.
• Hillman, a junior from Bennet, Neb., displayed his power in the weight throw on Jan. 17 in the Scott Nisely Memorial Classic in Crete, Neb.
• Hillman bested a field of 50 athletes, and improved on his NAIA-leading distance in the event with a toss of 60-6 ¾. (18.46 meters).
• He now leads the NAIA by 1-2 ½.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
The second Men's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week will be announced Jan. 28.
Track Nominees: Tommy Skosky, Columbia (Mo.); Nick Zink, William Woods (Mo.); Joseph Mullen, Tennessee Wesleyan; Eric Rodriguez, Montreat (N.C.); Christian Brewer, Milligan (Tenn.); Joe Bolin, College of Idaho; Hans Roelle, Eastern Oregon; Tevin Hopkins, St. Francis (Ill.); Ahmad Evans, Bethel (Ind.); Nathan Anderson, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Joe Cremer, Westminster (Utah); Travis Price, Great Falls (Mont.); Jay Welp, Morningside (Iowa); Robert Iron Shell, Briar Cliff (Iowa); Garrett Teel, Nebraska Wesleyan; Sam Housh, Doane (Neb.) ; Skyler Giddings, Northwestern (Iowa); Xavier Caffee, Dordt (Iowa); Asher Hannon, Baker (Kan.); Efren Castillo, Graceland (Iowa); Perry Joseph, McPherson (Kan.) ; Jesse Lyle, Friends (Kan.); Perry Joseph, McPherson (Kan.); Joe Magana, Sterling (Kan.); Dante Johnson, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Keonte White, Grand View (Iowa); Jim Warren, St. Ambrose (Iowa); David Hale, Viterbo (Wis.); Mark Moeller, Dakota State (S.D.); Richard Langdeaux, Valley City State (N.D.); Breyan Miller, Dickinson State (N.D.); Jywayne Allen, Oklahoma Baptist; Kabroderan Handsborough, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Antony Kimaiyo, Texas Wesleyan; Jacob Alplund, Northwood (Fla.); Alec Hernandez, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Kevin Vroegh, Cornerstone (Mich.); Sam Frens, Davenport (Mich.); Samuel Parlette, Siena Heights (Mich.).
Field Nominees: Shingai Kusena, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Joey Watson, Milligan (Tenn.); Robert Watson, Concordia (Ore.); Ryan Njegovan, St. Francis (Ill.); Michael Ponce, Bethel (Ind.); Kevin Smith, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Jacob Henry, Great Falls (Mont.); Zach Lurz, Concordia (Neb.); Tirrell Brooks, Graceland (Iowa); Dylan Biedron, Friends (Kan.); Hunter Hope, Sterling (Kan.); Dylan Biedron, Friends (Kan.); Carmetrick Ross, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Cornelius McCastle, William Penn (Iowa); Kenny Simmons, Grand View (Iowa); Joseph Torres, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Keegan Bludworth, Viterbo (Wis.); Rico Saldana, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Tori Brooks, Davenport (Mich.); Richard DePalma, Siena Heights (Mich.); Trevor Wright, Indiana Tech.
2015 Men's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week (Field; Track)
Week 1 (Jan. 21): Levi Hillman, Doane (Neb.); John Broaden, Indiana Tech