By: Mike DeVader, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Cody Larson of Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) has been named NAIA National Men's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week and Travis Simpson of Eastern Oregon has been selected as the NAIA National Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Broaden and Hillman were selected based on their performances from Jan. 19-25. This is the second award of the 2015 indoor track & field season.Men's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week
Cody Larson, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)
Jr., Boise, Idaho
• Larson swept the two races he competed in to begin the season for Lewis-Clark State.
• The junior won the 3000-meter race on Jan. 23 in the NCAA Division I Idaho Invite, and finished with a personal best time of 8:30.93, automatically qualifying him for nationals.
• The Boise, Idaho, native then defeated a 62-person field the next day in the NCAA Division I Washington State Open with a time of 4:16.05 – also recording a NAIA automatic qualifying time.
• This is Larson’s first Athlete of the Week honor.
Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week
Travis Simpson, Eastern Oregon
Sr., Redmond, Ore.
• The Redmond, Ore., native competed in three events – high jump, triple jump and long jump – this week at the NCAA Division I Boise State Bronco Invite on Jan. 24.
• Simpson took home the title in the high jump, clearing 6-10 ¾ (2.1 meters).
• In the triple jump, the senior hit 47-0 ¼ (14.33 meters), the second-best distance in school history. His long jump was 22-4 ½ (6.82 meters).
• This is Simpson’s first national award.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
The third Men's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week will be announced Feb. 4.
Track Nominees: Nick Christie, Missouri Baptist; Christian Herring, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Nick Zink, William Woods (Mo.); Avery Hubbard, Tennessee Wesleyan; Hans Roelle, Eastern Oregon; Sean Saxton, College of Idaho; Les Jones, Evergreen (Wash.); Joel Hartman, Bethel (Ind.); Jake Smith, Indiana Wesleyan; Matt Hall, Taylor (Ind.); Alex Lodes, Spring Arbor (Mich.); David Thor, Carroll (Mont.); Travis Price, Great Falls (Mont.); Mitchell Schleis, Briar Cliff (Iowa); Jay Welp, Morningside (Iowa); Tanner Dewey, Nebraska Wesleyan; Sean Robnett, Hastings (Neb.); Danny Aldaba, Midland (Neb.); Lane Tibbs, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Phillip Cheriuyot, Missouri Valley; Nickola Shingles, Central Methodist (Mo.); Tirrell Brooks, Graceland (Iowa); Perry Joseph, McPherson (Kan.); Kris Mathur, Friends (Kan.); Jeo Mendez, Ottawa (Kan.); Kris Mathur, Friends (Kan.); Fred Taylor, Cumberlands (Ky.); Jim Warren, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Alex Edwards, William Penn (Iowa); Keonte White, Grand View (Iowa); Josh Housel, Viterbo (Wis.); Travis Hinton, Oklahoma Baptist; De'Vion Simpson, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Oraine Wint, Texas Wesleyan; James Faison, Mobile (Ala.); Jamin Mays, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); John Hester, Indiana Tech; Jordan Stanford, Davenport (Mich.); Samuel Parlette, Siena Heights (Mich.).
Field Nominees: Alonzo Findley, William Woods (Mo.); Deshawn McCleary, Tennessee Wesleyan; Anthony Johnson, Evergreen (Wash.); Ryan Njegovan, St. Francis (Ill.); Michael Moffitt, Indiana Wesleyan; Michael Ponce, Bethel (Ind.); Nathan Brown, Grace (Ind.); Kevin Smith, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Hugh Pratt, Carroll (Mont.); Jacob Henry, Great Falls (Mont.); Kurtis Bonner, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Andrew Tatum, Doane (Neb.); Jordan Strofaci, Northwestern (Iowa); Zach Lurz, Concordia (Neb.); Paul Hill, Graceland (Iowa); Tyson Robke, Baker (Kan.); Kiven Steitz, Central Methodist (Mo.); Cayd Bloomquist, Southwestern (Kan.); Cayd Bloomquist, Southwestern (Kan.); Marlon Clayton, McPherson (Kan.); Dontaye Rivera, Friends (Kan.); Tylor Pinkard, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Christian Brislenn, Cumberlands (Ky.); Kenny Simmons, Grand View (Iowa); Cornelius McCastle, William Penn (Iowa); Keegan Bludworth, Viterbo (Wis.); Tyler Lems, Dakota State (S.D.); Wayne Northover, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Jordan Patterson, Oklahoma Baptist; Javanti Alston, Bethel (Tenn.); George Louissaint, Mobile (Ala.); Kameron Turner, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Richard DePalma, Siena Heights (Mich.); Adam Koch, Concordia (Mich.); Carrington Robinson, Indiana Tech; Tori Brooks, Davenport (Mich.).
2015 Men's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week (Field; Track)
Week 1 (Jan. 21): Levi Hillman, Doane (Neb.); John Broaden, Indiana Tech
Week 2 (Jan. 28): Travis Simpson, Eastern Oregon , Cody Larson, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)