KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Jake Sinkovics of Cumberlands (Ky.) has been named the NAIA National Wrestler of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. He was chosen based on his performances from Jan. 26 – Feb. 1. This is the fifth weekly award of the 2015 season.
National Wrestler of the Week
Jake Sinkovics, Cumberlands (Ky.)
125-pound, Fr., Mishawaka, Ind.
• Went 5-0 over the weekend en route to the 125-pound title at the Missouri Valley Open.
• In the title match, the Mishawaka, Ind., native pinned No. 11 Dennis Welch of Missouri Valley in 5:50. He also pinned Chris Mosher of Cumberland (Tenn.) (3:22) in the second round.
• Other three wins were by either technical fall or major decision.
• Entered the event ranked No. 13 at 125 pounds.
• Earns the first weekly award of his career.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Demarcus Gurlly, Missouri Baptist; Shawn Lau, Great Falls (Mont.); Jared McCoy, Morningside (Iowa); Kevin Corbett, Doane (Neb.); Dmitri Smith, Concordia (Neb.); Gabi Musallam, Missouri Valley; Connor Middleton, Baker (Kan.); Isaac Thomas, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Scott Stewart, Cumberland (Tenn.); Jimmie Schuessler, Grand View (Iowa); Adrian Gaines, Oklahoma City.
2015 Wrestling Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 7): Joshua Crager, Warner Pacific (Ore.)
Week 2 (Jan. 14): Michael Pixley, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 3 (Jan. 21): Toby Cheff, Montana State-Northern
Week 4 (Jan. 27): Zach Anderson, Bethany (Kan.)
Week 5 (Feb. 4): Jake Sinkovics, Cumberlands (Ky.)