2015 Women's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week - No. 3
By: Mike DeVader, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Jessa Sughroue of Doane (Neb.) has been named NAIA National Women's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week and Brittany Murray of Cornerstone (Mich.) has been selected as the NAIA National Women's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Sughroue and Murray were selected based on their performances from Jan. 26 – Feb. 1, and out of a pool of conference winners. This is the third honor of the 2015 indoor track & field season.
Women's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week
Jessa Sughroue, Doane (Neb.)
Sr., McCook, Neb.
• Sughroue had a strong day on the track with three NAIA automatic qualifying marks in the 600-meter, distance medley relay and the 4x400-meter relay, respectively.
• In the 600-m, she ran the fourth-fastest time in the NAIA this season in winning with a time of 1:36.21.
• The senior ran the 800-m leg of the distance medley relay that broke the school record and set a Concordia Meet & Fieldhouse record (12:16.43).
• In the 4x400-m relay, Sughroue anchored the team that finished in second behind NCAA Division II Nebraska-Kearney by .33 seconds.
Women's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week
Brittany Murray, Cornerstone (Mich.)
Sr., Monclova, Ohio
• Murray rewrote her school record in the pentathlon at the Indiana Wesleyan Wildcat Invitational on Jan. 31.
• Her 5.66 meters (18-6 ¾) mark in the long jump and 1.67 meters (5-5 ¾) clearance in the high jump both bettered the NAIA A qualifying mark.
• The senior’s finished with a time of 9.22 in the 60-meter hurdles, and a 12.19-m (40-0) effort in the shot put.
• The Monclova, Ohio, native rounded out the competition with an 800-m time of 2:32.26 – giving her 3,766 points – the top pentathlon score in the NAIA this season
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
The fourth Women's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week will be announced Feb. 11.
Track Nominees: Lindsey Martin, Columbia (Mo.); Halie Wilsey, Park (Mo.); Aliyah Reams, Missouri Baptist; Alliah McClendon, William Woods (Mo.); Hannah Segrave, Milligan (Tenn.); Mikel Elliott, Concordia (Ore.); Irene Moore, Evergreen (Wash.); Anna Meyer, Taylor (Ind.); Taylor Hite, Indiana Wesleyan; Rachael Hart, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Sandy Torres, Carroll (Mont.); Skylar Forgey, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Kim Wood, Concordia (Neb.); Tori Figge, Morningside (Iowa); Katie Landhuis, Northwestern (Iowa); Katherine Dillard, Benedictine (Kan.); Madison Caffrey, Sterling (Kan.); Ashlee Wenrick, Southwestern (Kan.); Ashlee Wenrick, Southwestern (Kan.); Sam Melillo, Friends (Kan.); Jordan Calderwood, Ottawa (Kan.); Taelor Fowler, Point Park (Pa.); Danielle Hoop, Cumberlands (Ky.); Kevia Gonzales, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Krista Bushkofsky, Clarke (Iowa); Molly Jo Smith, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Kennedy King, Grand View (Iowa); Tarah Alexander, William Penn (Iowa); Samantha Goff, Jamestown (N.D.); Austyn Copp, Dickinson State (N.D.); Hannah Fields, Oklahoma Baptist; Rochene Owens, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Ana Segovia, Texas Wesleyan; Ellie Staker, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Adri Sigafoose, Aquinas (Mich.); Patricia Thompson, Indiana Tech; Anita Souza, Cornerstone (Mich.); Sara Jungersten, Davenport (Mich.).
Field Nominees: Jakyra Shelton, Park (Mo.); Madelyn Scrivner , William Woods (Mo.); McKenzie Warren, Concordia (Ore.); Harley McBride, Eastern Oregon; Amy Blucker, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Holli Leslie, Indiana Wesleyan; Kathleen Mulligan, Carroll (Mont.); Carly Henry, Doane (Neb.); Karen Ettleman, Northwestern (Iowa); Cassie Starks, Concordia (Neb.); Ashton Schweers, Morningside (Iowa); Kendall Holloman, Baker (Kan.); Ashley Stanford, Sterling (Kan.); Kayla Wilson, Southwestern (Kan.); Bryanna Music, Ottawa (Kan.); Ashley Stanford, Sterling (Kan.); Courtney Rhondes, Cumberlands (Ky.); Kimberley Stevens, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Val Veiock, Grand View (Iowa); Raveen Rhone, William Penn (Iowa); Myra Nichols, Clarke (Iowa); Elizabeth Dadzie, Oklahoma Baptist; Tiona Owens, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Ongelic Hill, Texas Wesleyan; Daisha Brown, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Darice Bowie, Indiana Tech; Tessa Gryzen, Davenport (Mich.).
2015 Women's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week (Field; Track)
Week 1 (Jan. 21): Carly Schmidt, Indiana Tech; Hannah Fields, Oklahoma Baptist
Week 2 (Jan. 28): Kayla Wilson, Southwestern (Kan.); Shayla France, Indiana Tech
Week 3 (Feb. 4): Brittany Murray, Cornerstone (Mich.); Jessa Sughroue, Doane (Neb.)