By: Mike DeVader, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Matthew Clowes of Concordia (Ore.) has been named NAIA National Men's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week and Kale Wolken of Doane (Neb.) has been selected as the NAIA National Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Clowes and Wolken were selected based on their performances from Jan. 26 – Feb. 1. This is the third award of the 2015 indoor track & field season.Men's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week
Matthew Clowes, Concordia (Ore.)
Sr., Stoke-on-Trent, England
• Clowes clocked a school-record 3:58.96 mile run at the NCAA Division I University of Washington Invitational in Seattle, Wash. on Jan. 31, finishing fifth.
• The senior became just the second NAIA competitor to post a sub-four minute time in the event over the past seven seasons.
• The Stoke-on-Trent, England native then posted the NAIA’s top time in the 800-meter run to date, a personal indoor best 1:51.77
• This is Clowes’ second Indoor Track Athlete of the Week honor (Jan. 22, 2014).
Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week
Kale Wolken, Doane (Neb.)
Jr., Tecumseh, Neb.
• Wolken took over the NAIA lead in the heptathlon (seven events over two days) by posting 5,276 points at the Concordia Classic on Jan. 30-31.
• The defending NAIA champion has a strong hold on the event, leading second place by 344 points.
• The junior from Tecumseh, Neb., bested a field of 13 athletes on the way to the title.
• This is Wolken’s second national award (Feb. 26, 2014).
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
The fourth Men's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week will be announced Feb. 11.
Track Nominees: Cameron Hampton, Missouri Baptist; Nick Zink, William Woods (Mo.); Teddy McCord, Park (Mo.); Christian Brewer, Milligan (Tenn.); Hans Roelle, Eastern Oregon; Wes Jones, Evergreen (Wash.); Matt Hall, Taylor (Ind.); Jake Smith, Indiana Wesleyan; Lyle Pocha, Carroll (Mont.); Fred Petsch , Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Mark Abrams, Morningside (Iowa); Robert Iron Shell, Briar Cliff (Iowa); Kyle Anderson, Northwestern (Iowa); Phillip Cheriuyot, Missouri Valley; Louis Edmiston, Kansas Wesleyan; Garrett Daugherty, Tabor (Kan.); Josh Whittaker, Saint Mary (Kan.); Louis Edmiston, Kansas Wesleyan; Zachary Watt, Point Park (Pa.); Fred Taylor, Cumberlands (Ky.); Dante Johnson, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Alex Edwards, William Penn (Iowa); Keonte White, Grand View (Iowa); Joseph Torres, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Jose Charro, Dickinson State (N.D.); De'Vion Simpson, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Antony Kimaiyo, Texas Wesleyan; Kenneth Combs, Oklahoma Baptist; Jamin Mays, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Adam Cichon, Aquinas (Mich.); Harris Edwards III, Indiana Tech; Sam Frens, Davenport (Mich.).
Field Nominees: Steven Hill, Park (Mo.); Adam Smith , William Woods (Mo.); Joey Watson, Milligan (Tenn.); Kenny Higgins, Taylor (Ind.); Josh Seeberger, Carroll (Mont.); Zach Lurz, Concordia (Neb.); Cody Bauman, Northwestern (Iowa); Daniel Porter, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Jacob Connealy, Benedictine (Kan.); Nick Homan, Central Methodist (Mo.); Zhitavion Shelby, Missouri Valley; Cayd Bloomquist, Southwestern (Kan.); Cayd Bloomquist, Southwestern (Kan.); Shaun Berry, Point Park (Pa.); Josh Kles, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Wendall Williams , Cumberlands (Ky.); Derek Seddon, William Penn (Iowa); Nate Johnston, Grand View (Iowa); Christian Johnson, Oklahoma Baptist; Richard Maku, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Tori Brooks, Davenport (Mich.); Tj Williams, Indiana Tech.
2015 Men's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week (Field; Track)
Week 1 (Jan. 21): Levi Hillman, Doane (Neb.); John Broaden, Indiana Tech
Week 2 (Jan. 28): Travis Simpson, Eastern Oregon; Cody Larson, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)
Week 3 (Feb. 4): Kale Wolken, Doane (Neb.); Matthew Clowes, Concordia (Ore.)