NAIA Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week – No. 6
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Hayley Newby of Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.) has been named the NAIA National Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. This honor, which encompasses performances from Feb. 2 – 8, is the sixth of the 2014-15 season. Newby was chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Player of the Week
Hayley Newby, Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.)
6-0, Sr., F, Knoxville, Tenn.
• Averaged 28.0 points, 11.5 rebounds, 2.0 steals and 1.5 assists against American Midwest Conference rivals Missouri Baptist and William Woods (Mo.).
• Netted a career-high 35 points on 17-for-26 (65.4 percent) from the field against William Woods. Also grabbed 14 rebounds en route to her ninth double-double of the season.
• Has now scored 30-or-more points three times this season.
• Tallied 21 points and nine boards at Missouri Baptist.
• Collects the second National Player of the Week Award of her career. First honor came on Feb. 25, 2014.
• Last Freed-Hardeman National Player of the Week other than Newby: Natalie Shumpert (Jan. 17, 2012).
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Charity Fowler, Oklahoma Baptist; Tayla Foster, Bethel (Tenn.); Ajha Edwards, Montana State-Northern; Lynette Holmes, Langston (Okla.); Megan Balcom, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Chelsea Craig, Campbellsville (Ky.); Brandy Broome, Southern-New Orleans (La.); Lauren McCoy, Westmont (Calif.).
2014-15 Division I Women’s Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Ajha Edwards, Montana State-Northern
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Ajha Edwards, Montana State-Northern
Week 3 (Jan. 20): Chayla Rutledge, Benedictine (Kan.)
Week 4 (Jan. 27): Janis Peterson, Concordia (Calif.)
Week 5 (Feb. 3): Lindsey Abramson, Great Falls (Mont.)
Week 6 (Feb. 10): Hayley Newby, Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.)