By: Mike DeVader, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — John Broaden of Indiana Tech has been named NAIA National Men's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week and Raheem Cowan of Briar Cliff (Iowa) has been selected as the NAIA National Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Broaden and Cowan were selected based on their performances from Feb. 2 – 8. This is the fourth award of the 2015 indoor track & field season.Men's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week
John Broaden, Indiana Tech
Jr., Indianapolis, Ind.
• Broaden showed up big on Feb. 6-7 in the NCAA Division I University of Notre Dame Meyo Invitational in Notre Dame, Ind., winning the 200-meter dash while hitting three NAIA automatic qualifying marks (200m, 60-meter dash and 4x400-meter relay).
• The junior finished the 200-m dash in 21.20, which is the top mark in the NAIA and just .01 seconds shy of a school record.
• In the aforementioned 200m race, the Indianapolis, Ind., native beat the current No. 4 in the Big Ten Conference, Division I Indiana's Cornelius Strickland as well as the top runner from Conference USA, Division I Western Kentucky's Emmanuel Dasor.
• His 4x400m relay team posted the fastest time in the NAIA at 3:11.06.
• This is Broaden’s second Indoor Track Athlete of the Week award of 2015 (Jan. 21).
Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week
Raheem Cowan, Briar Cliff (Iowa)
Sr., Hartwell, Ga.
• Cowan soared 15.91 meters (52-2 ½) in the triple jump at the NCAA Division III Buena Vista Dennis Young Classic in Storm Lake, Iowa, on Feb. 7.
• The jump was his career-best and the top mark in the NAIA by over three feet.
• The mark by the Hartwell, Ga., native established a new meet and facility record, while also tying him for 11th in the nation in the event among jumpers in all divisions (NCAA and NAIA).
• Cowan also was part of two relays titles, the 4x200-meter and the 4x400-meter. The 4x200m finish of 1:29.85 broke a school record which had stood since 2002, and also set a new meet and facility record.
• This is the senior’s fourth career national award (most recent: Jan. 22, 2014).
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
The fifth Men's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week will be announced Feb. 18.
Track Nominees: Luke Joslin, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Cameron Hampton, Missouri Baptist; Rhett Cook, William Woods (Mo.); Avery Hubbard, Tennessee Wesleyan; Erik Rodriguez, Montreat (N.C.); Taylor Tafelsky, Milligan (Tenn.); Isaac Updike, Eastern Oregon; Sean Saxton, College of Idaho; Dakotah Webb, Oregon Tech; Brian Blaylock, St. Francis (Ill.); Nathan Lane, Grace (Ind.); Jake Smith, Indiana Wesleyan; Jace Wolford, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Matt Hall, Taylor (Ind.); Tommy Grant, Bethel (Ind.); Ryan Smith, Goshen (Ind.); Cody larson, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Kyle Nickol, Carroll (Mont.); Riley Ruppenthal , Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Kevin Horchler, Biola (Calif.); Rusty Muncy, Briar Cliff (Iowa); Sam Housh, Doane (Neb.); Jay Welp, Morningside (Iowa); Joshua Stevens, Graceland (Iowa); Max Burley, Friends (Kan.); Anthony Weber, Saint Mary (Kan.); Max Burley, Friends (Kan.); Korey Beaman, Waldorf (Iowa); David Hale, Viterbo (Wis.); Keonte White, Grand View (Iowa); Spencer Carlson, Dakota State (S.D.); Tommy Sease, Dickinson State (N.D.); Stormie Sickler, Dickinson State (N.D.); Travis Hinton, Oklahoma Baptist; Ross Melinn, Davenport (Mich.).
Field Nominees: Adam Smith, William Woods (Mo.); Joey Watson, Milligan (Tenn.); Daymond Williams, Tennessee Wesleyan; Travis Simpson, Eastern Oregon; Joe Bolin, College of Idaho; Ryan Njegovan, St. Francis (Ill.); Michael Ponce, Bethel (Ind.); Michael Moffitt, Indiana Wesleyan; Kenny Higgins, Taylor (Ind.); Sam Nordquist, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Kevin Smith, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Kolton Parsons, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Daniel East, Carroll (Mont.); Daniel Porter, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Zach Lurz, Concordia (Neb.); Tirrell Brooks, Graceland (Iowa); Bryant Boyd, Benedictine (Kan.); Dontaye Rivera, Friends (Kan.); Scott Paddock, Sterling (Kan.); Scott Paddock, Sterling (Kan.); Caleb Gilbertson, Waldorf (Iowa); Cornelius McCastle, William Penn (Iowa); Kenny Simmons, Grand View (Iowa); Keegan Bludworth, Viterbo (Wis.); Tyler Lems, Dakota State (S.D.); Josh Torgerson, Dickinson State (N.D.); Caleb Dunn, Oklahoma Baptist; James Bullock, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Tyler Williams, Indiana Tech; Tori Brooks, Davenport (Mich.).
2015 Men's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week (Field; Track)
Week 1 (Jan. 21): Levi Hillman, Doane (Neb.); John Broaden, Indiana Tech
Week 2 (Jan. 28): Travis Simpson, Eastern Oregon; Cody Larson, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)
Week 3 (Feb. 4): Kale Wolken, Doane (Neb.); Matthew Clowes, Concordia (Ore.)
Week 4 (Feb. 11): Raheem Cowan, Briar Cliff (Iowa); John Broaden, Indiana Tech