By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Dannisha Pierce of St. Thomas (Fla.) has been named the NAIA National Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Pierce was selected out of a group of conference winners for her performances from Feb. 16 – 22. This award is the eighth and final award of the 2014-15 season.
National Player of the Week
Dannisha Pierce, St. Thomas (Fla.)
5-11, Sr., F, New Haven, Conn.
• Averaged 23.3 points, 11.3 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 5.0 steals and 2.3 blocks in a 3-0 week for the Bobcats.
• The senior’s high-scoring outing of the week came in a 91-64 blowout of Florida Memorial on Feb. 17. She recorded 26 points, 13 rebounds, five assists, five blocks, and four steals in the win.
• Her second double-double of the week came on Feb 21 against Webber International (Fla.), when the forward tallied 20 points and 15 boards, helping the Bobcats claim The Sun Conference championship.
• The New Haven, Conn., native leads Division II in steals this season (133 in 28 contests), averaging 4.8 each time out.
• This is Pierce’s second national honor of the season (Jan. 6) and she is the only women’s basketball national award recipient in St. Thomas history.
Nominees: Madison Coldren, Northwestern Ohio; Ashlynn Muhl, Morningside (Iowa); Destiny Tolliver, Bluefield (Va.); Samantha Rodriguez, Ashford (Iowa); Megan Klein, Dickinson State (N.D.); Abby Herb, Mount Mercy (Iowa); Laniecia Weatherspoon, Evergreen (Wash.); Jenna Farris, Kansas Wesleyan; Abbey Hengesbach, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Jolise Limcaco, Menlo (Calif.); Akyah Taylor, Saint Francis (Ind.); Deaundra Young, College of Saint Mary (Neb.); Catie Fletcher, Asbury (Ky.).
2014-15 Women's Basketball Division II Composite Award Winners (Schedule)
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Dannisha Pierce, St. Thomas (Fla.)
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Yolanda De La Torre, Robert Morris (Ill.)
Week 3 (Jan. 20): Akyah Taylor, Saint Francis (Ind.)
Week 4 (Jan. 27): Tia King, IU East (Ind.)
Week 5 (Feb. 3): Patrice McBee, Purdue Calumet (Ind.)
Week 6 (Feb. 10): Kelly Johnson, Point Park (Pa.)
Week 7 (Feb. 17): Deaundra Young, College of Saint Mary (Neb.)
Week 8 (Feb. 24): Dannisha Pierce, St. Thomas (Fla.)