By Chad Waller, Director of Communications and Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Matt Qualls of Bacone (Okla.) has been named the NAIA National Division I Men’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. This honor, which captures statistics from Feb. 16 – Feb. 22, is the eighth honor of the 2014-15 season.
National Player of the Week
Matt Qualls, Bacone (Okla.)
6-7, Sr., F, Tahlequah, Okla.
• Despite going 1-2 this week on the hardwood, Qualls was a force for Bacone, averaging 36.0 points and 11.7 rebounds in three outings.
• The senior forward scored a career-high 47 points against LSU Shreveport (La.) on Feb. 20 in an 88-82 overtime loss. Qualls also grabbed 19 rebounds on the night.
• The forward netted 30 points and 11 boards in a 95-88 win over Langston (Okla.), and 31 points against LSU Alexandria (La.).
• He became just the third player in school history to record 1,000 career points since Bacone joined the NAIA.
• He shot 45-of-79 from the floor (57 percent) in his squad’s three games, and leads all of Division I in scoring average (26.2 points per game).
• Qualls has scored 655 points on the year, and has hit double-digits in every outing (25 games), with a season-low of 12 points coming on Jan. 20 against Langston.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Stephen Mccall, Montana Western; Chris Buzzell, Missouri Baptist; Korry Tillery, Evangel (Mo.); Jerrod Brown, Voorhees (S.C.); Di'mar Hill, Faulkner (Ala.); Allen Dantzler, Life (Ga.); Tharone Chilton, Oklahoma City; Kenny Morgan, Hope International (Calif.).
2014-15 Division I Men's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Korry Tillery, Evangel (Mo.)
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Ta'Quan McDew, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
Week 3 (Jan. 20): Damontre Harris, Campbellsville (Ky.)
Week 4 (Jan. 27): Kelsey Howard, Tougaloo (Miss.)
Week 5 (Feb. 3): D'on Hall, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 6 (Feb. 10): Jacob Wiley, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)
Week 7 (Feb. 17): Kenny Manigault, Pikeville (Ky.)
Week 8 (Feb. 24): Matt Qualls, Bacone (Okla.)