2015 NAIA Baseball Players of the Week – No. 2 (March 31)
Story by Chad Waller, NAIA Director of Communications & Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Alex Bautista of Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week and Griffin Glaude of Lyon (Ark.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Bautista and Glaude were selected based on their performances from March 23 – 29 and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Baseball Player of the Week
Alex Bautista, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
6-0, Sr., RF, Brooklyn, N.Y.
• Hit safely in all six games, including four multi-hit games, en route to a .611 batting average (11-for-18). Lindsey Wilson went 6-0 overall on the week.
• Tallied four home runs, 18 RBIs and five walks in the wins.
• Against No. 24 Union (Ky.) on March 25, Bautista hit a pair of home runs to go along with five RBIs in the 15-5 road win.
• In the 14-inning 9-6 win over Pikeville (Ky.) on March 28, Bautista hit a three-run walk-off home run to help the Blue Raiders ultimately sweep Pikeville in a Mid-South Conference weekend series. He added a homer and six RBIs in the series finale with the Bears.
• Currently, ranks No. 2 in the NAIA in total home runs (11) and No. 4 in RBIs (43).
Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Griffin Glaude, Lyon (Ark.)
5-10, Sr., P/SS, Beebe, Ark.
• Produced a 2-0 week on the hill, registering his fifth complete game of the season, as he gave up zero earned runs in 12 innings.
• Allowed just six hits and two walks last week and finished with 18 strikeouts.
• His top performance was against Williams Baptist (March 24) when he pitched a seven-inning, complete-game victory, allowing no runs on two hits. He had 10 strikeouts.
• He lowered his season ERA to 0.27, while improving his record to 4-0. He has struck out 49 batters in 33 innings on the year.
• In national statistics, ranks No. 2 in earned runs allowed (1), No. 3 in ERA, No. 3 in total runs allowed (2) and No. 4 in batters struck out per 9 innings (13.36).
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
The third NAIA National Baseball Players of the Week will be announced April 7.
Player Nominees: Christian Torres, Park (Mo.); Jeremy Wyatt, Reinhardt (Ga.); Joshua Pieper, Trinity Christian (Ill.); Kevin Fahy, Taylor (Ind.); Steve Karkenny, The Master's (Calif.); Mitch Peschon, Northwestern (Iowa); Austin Drummonds, Talladega (Ala.); Jacob Stafford, Missouri Valley; Bruce Yari, British Columbia; Kyle Bludau, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Manny DeLeon, Tabor (Kan.); Kevin Arroyo, Rio Grande (Ohio); Osvaldo Gonzalez, Bellevue (Neb.); Johnny Herrera, Grand View (Iowa); Jordan Tescher, Dickinson State (N.D.); Sean Baumes, Bacone (Okla.); Micahel Lowe, Southwestern Christian (Okla.); Sam Seaton, Bethel (Tenn.); Jake Cavender, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Zyler Cosby, Northwestern Ohio.
Pitcher Nominees: Luke Henderson, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Austin Guzzon, Corban (Ore.); Adam Panayotovich, St. Francis (Ill.); Lucas Daugherty, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Conner Menez, The Master's (Calif.); Neil Ryan, Concordia (Neb.); Ronald Russell, Jr., Tougaloo (Miss.); Kevin Key, Missouri Valley; Nathan Falkenstine, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Shawn Carlson, Fisher (Mass.); Alex Graham, British Columbia; Cade Brummer, Saint Mary (Kan.); Trent Downs, Rio Grande (Ohio); John Werner, St. Catharine (Ky.); Stephan Meyer, Bellevue (Neb.); Andrew Redman, Clarke (Iowa); Bryant Westra, Dakota State (S.D.); Ryan Shockey, Jarvis Christian (Texas); Dustin Cook, Oklahoma City; Corey Hale, Mobile (Ala.); Zac Grotz, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Evan Piechota, Madonna (Mich.).
2015 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher; Player) (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (March 24): Adam Panayotovich, St. Francis (Ill.); Keivan Berges, Northwood (Fla.)
Week 2 (March 31): Griffin Glaude, Lyon (Ark.); Alex Bautista, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)