2015 NAIA Softball Players of the Week – No. 2 (March 31)
Story by Chad Waller, NAIA Director of Communications & Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Reba Depriest of Biola (Calif.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week and Shelby Engle of Georgetown (Ky.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Depriest and Engle were selected based on their performances from March 23 – 29, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Reba Depriest, Biola (Calif.)
5-8, Sr., P, Mesa, Ariz.
• Picked up four wins in 22.1 innings of work last week, all without allowing a single earned run.
• Allowed 10 overall hits on the week and just one unearned run in relief effort against No. 8 Cal State San Marcos on March 28 – 9-8 victory.
• Blanked Cal State San Marcos on March 28 – 6-0 – as she tallied 13 strikeouts in seven innings of work.
• Recorded 36 strikeouts adding to her NAIA-leading total, making it 183 for the year.
• Returning NAIA All-American.
Softball Player of the Week
Shelby Engle, Georgetown (Ky.)
5-10, Jr., 1B, Amelia, Ohio
• During six games last week, Engle had eight home runs in 18 at bats.
• Overall, she batted .722 (13-for-18) and had slugging percentage of 2.167.
• Accounted for 19 runs batted in and scored 14 runs. Added nine walks in six games.
• Posted three games of two home runs or more. Had two, four-hit games and only one game was held without a hit.
• Previously, had one home run this season, giving her nine total in 14 games to tie the school season record set by Mallory Johnson in 2009.
• No. 9-ranked Blue Raiders went 4-2 last week.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
The third NAIA National Softball Players of the Week will be announced April 7.
Player Nominees: Carly Spalding, Columbia (Mo.); Melina Wilkinson, Montreat (N.C.); Simonne Davis, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.); Mckenzie Shrum, Oregon Tech; Amanda Ferguson, Roosevelt (Ill.); Logan Personett, Marian (Ind.); Marissa Gilbuena, Concordia (Calif.); Ashton Beaird, Dordt (Iowa); Jessica Wilmes, Central Methodist (Mo.); Savannah Crittenden, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Ashlee Vivirito, Saint Mary (Kan.); Kim Rollins, Rio Grande (Ohio); Ashley Gigax, Bellevue (Neb.); Jorden Steele, William Penn (Iowa); Autumn Wang, Jamestown (N.D.); Taylor Simon, LSU Alexandria; Shalee Cordell, Oklahoma Baptist; Jordan Coleman, Mobile (Ala.); Jennifer Hamil, Webber International (Fla.); Mikey Kish, Madonna (Mich.).
Pitcher Nominees: Nicole Sanders, Lyon (Ark.); Madison Luck, Reinhardt (Ga.); Vanessa Froussine, La Sierra (Calif.); Lucy Baldovino, Concordia (Ore.); Morghan Dieringer, St. Francis (Ill.); Natalie Newell, Bethel (Ind.); Ellie Doughty, Doane (Neb.); Jocie Glaze, Central Methodist (Mo.); Nicole Schmidt, Ashford (Iowa); Madison Garza, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Brenna Westemeir, Friends (Kan.); Jessica Leanhart, Indiana Southeast; Neely Quint, Campbellsville (Ky.); Taylor Mohler, Bellevue (Neb.); Claudia Farrell, Grand View (Iowa); Brittany Rheault, Jamestown (N.D.); Kaycee Spears, LSU Alexandria; Brittany Hopkins, St. Gregory's (Okla.); Cassie Jones, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Kristy Cook, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Erin Combs, Madonna (Mich.).
2015 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player) (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (March 24): Hannah Moak, William Carey (Miss.); Alex Springer, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 2 (March 31): Reba Depriest, Biola (Calif.); Shelby Engle, Georgetown (Ky.)