2015 NAIA Women’s Tennis Player of the Week – No. 2 (April 1)
By Mike DeVader, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Adela Gil of Missouri Valley has been named the NAIA National Women's Tennis Player of The Week, the national office announced Wednesday. She was selected based on her performances from March 23 – 29 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Tennis Player of the Week
Adela Gil of Missouri Valley
So., Barcelona, Spain
• Gil wrapped up a fantastic week by going 10-0 (five singles matches and five doubles tilts) ranging between March 24-29 against the likes of NCAA Division II Truman State (Mo.), McPherson (Kan.) and Ottawa (Kan.).
• Of those 10 competitions, eight of the sophomore’s wins came on the road.
• She did not allow more than four sets in doubles play. Her tightest singles match came against Ottawa on March 28 (7-6, 6-1).
• Gil’s efforts propelled the Vikings to an overall week record of 8-2.
• Today marks the Barcelona, Spain, native’s first time being recognized as the national winner.
For the complete 2015 Tennis Player of the Week schedule, click here.
Nominees: Paula Puentes, Reinhardt (Ga.); Monika Wynne, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Frankie Eszes, Northwestern (Iowa); Gaby Chaparro, Nebraska Wesleyan; Cassie Stanek, Morningside (Iowa); Carmen Nelson, Xavier (La.); Jessica Worring, Graceland (Iowa); Bree Honer, Bethel (Kan.); Bree Honer, Bethel (Kan.); Anna Tumanyan, Campbellsville (Ky.); Isabella Dale, Cumberlands (Ky.); Henar Munoz, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Angelica Sepulveda, Cumberland (Tenn.); Jacqueline Otis, Georgetown (Ky.); Sara Valero Marin, William Carey (Miss.); Kelly Southwood, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Lea Junggeburth, Mobile (Ala.); Alden Minick, Coastal Georgia; Adelaide Wood, Northwood (Fla.); Camille Gbaguidi, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Giovanna Tomiotto, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Alexis Quinn, Southeastern (Fla.); Puck Luttickhuis, Davenport (Mich.); Ankita Bhatia, Aquinas (Mich.).
2014-15 Women's Tennis Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 25): Camille Gbaguidi, SCAD Savannah (Ga.)
Week 2 (April 1): Adela Gil, Missouri Valley