KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Brett Clark of Friends (Kan.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week and Osvaldo Gonzalez of Bellevue (Neb.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Clark and Gonzalez were selected based on their performances from March 30 – April 5 and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winner.
National Player of the Week
Osvaldo Gonzalez, Bellevue (Neb.)
5-9, Sr., C, Miami, Fla.
• Hit safely in all six games, including four multi-high contests, en route to a .619 batting average (13-for-21).
• Fueled a 6-0 week for Bellevue with 20 RBIs, seven runs scored, five home runs and four doubles.
• Recorded five RBIs in three games last week.
• Against Central Christian (Kan.) on April 4, Gonzalez hit two home runs in four plate appearances.
• Currently leads the NAIA in five statistical categories – doubles (26), doubles per game (0.6), total bases (121), slugging percentage (0.890) and fielding percentage (1.000).
• First career National Player of the Week award.
National Pitcher of the Week
Brett Clark, Friends (Kan.)
6-3, Sr., P, Temecula, Calif.
• Threw the Falcons’ first no-hitter since 2007 in the squads 4-0 win against McPherson (Kan.) on April 3.
• Struck out seven and walked only one in seven innings of work against the Bulldogs.
• Threw only 82 pitches.
• With the win, Clark improved to 4-4 on the season and lowered his ERA to 2.37.
• First career National Pitcher of the Week award.
For more information on NAIA baseball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
The third NAIA National Baseball Players of the Week will be announced April 14.
Player Nominees: Orlando Olivera, Missouri Baptist; Wardy Polanco, Tennessee Wesleyan; Alex Tenorio, Menlo (Calif.); Brandon Mendoza, St. Francis (Ill.); Riley Swanson, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Collin Nyenhuis, The Master's (Calif.); Scott Morton, Briar Cliff (Iowa); Travis Seabrook, Voorhees (S.C.); Jordan Eckley, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Jordan Berry, Fisher (Mass.); William Paschal, Georgia Gwinnett; Kaylem Quinn, Ottawa (Kan.); Stefan Mrkonja, Point Park (Pa.); Alex Bautista, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Steven Leverett, AIB (Iowa); John Pistulka, Mayville State (N.D.); Jami Rachal, LSU Alexandria; Blake Scannell, Science & Arts (Okla.); Tremayne Hardin, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Willi Martin, Southeastern (Fla.); Jordan Zylstra, Davenport (Mich.).
Pitcher Nominees: James Ball, William Woods (Mo.); Josh Peterson, Milligan (Tenn.); Austin Hadley, Concordia (Ore.); Kyle Bledsoe, Robert Morris (Ill.); Spencer Goebel, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Sean Isaac, Vanguard (Calif.); Jaydee Jurgensen, Concordia (Neb.); Matt Holland, Talladega (Ala.); Seth Jones, Baker (Kan.); Jeremy Newton, British Columbia; Shawn Carlson, Fisher (Mass.); Bryce Wilz, Brescia (Ky.); John Werner, St. Catharine (Ky.); Sean Mcmanus, Bellevue (Neb.); Matt Liberty, AIB (Iowa); Alan Sandoval, Valley City State (N.D.); Ryan Shockey, Jarvis Christian (Texas); Nathan Thompson, Oklahoma Baptist; Corey Hale, Mobile (Ala.); Junior Delatorre, USC Beaufort (S.C.); John Schreiber, Northwestern Ohio.
2015 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher; Player) (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (March 24): Adam Panayotovich, St. Francis (Ill.); Keivan Berges, Northwood (Fla.)
Week 2 (March 31): Griffin Glaude, Lyon (Ark.); Alex Bautista, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 3 (April 7): Brett Clark, Friends (Kan.); Osvaldo Gonzalez, Bellevue (Neb.)