2015 NAIA Softball Players of the Week – No. 3 (April 7)
Story by Chad Waller, NAIA Director of Communications & Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Ashlie Layman of USC Beaufort (S.C.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week and Abbey Wilmes of Grand View (Iowa) has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Layman and Wilmes were selected based on their performances from March 30 – April 5, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Ashlie Layman, USC Beaufort (S.C.)
5-8, Jr., P, Ridgeland, S.C.
• Returned after a three-week absence because of an arm injury and pitched nine scoreless innings in two wins last week.
• Picked up victories against (RV) Georgia Gwinnett (RV) on March 31 and No. 8 Thomas (Ga.) on April 3.
• Allowed three hits and two walks in three innings of relief in a 6-3 win over the Grizzlies. She also struck out three batters
• Twirled a six-inning complete game, allowing three hits and striking out five, to beat Thomas. Coming into the game, Thomas had not been shut out on the season (in 36 games).
• Improved to 5-5 on the year with a 3.94 ERA in 53.1 innings.
Softball Player of the Week
Abbey Wilmes, Grand View (Iowa)
5-7, Jr., 1B, Des Moines, Iowa
• On the week – the Vikings went 6-2 during that span – Wilmes batted .591 (13-for-22) with seven homers, 12 RBI and walked twice.
• Compiled eight extra-base hits.
• Tallied three multi-hit games, including a 3-for-4 effort in the 6-1 victory over Clarke (Iowa) on April 1. She added two home runs and four RBI.
• Scored the winning run in upset of then-No. 4 Saint Xavier (Ill.) on April 4. She tripled to get on base and was sacrificed in.
• On the year, Wilmes ranks No. 2 in the NAIA in slugging percentage (1.036) and No. 4 in home runs (13).
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
The fourth NAIA National Softball Players of the Week will be announced April 14.
Player Nominees: Payton Anderson, Missouri Baptist; Randi Wimpy, Reinhardt (Ga.); Hannah DeLuna, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.); Taylor Bussey, Concordia (Ore.); Erica Kramer, Cardinal Stritch (Wis.); Davis Carter, Taylor (Ind.); Charlotte Foster, Concordia (Calif.); Jensen Boger, Northwestern (Iowa); Kaya Naiwi, Missouri Valley; Cassidy Littlefield, Georgia Gwinnett; Elisa Valenzuela, Ottawa (Kan.); Taylor Arndt, Rio Grande (Ohio); Cassidy Taylor, Georgetown (Ky.); Nicki Larsen, College of Saint Mary (Neb.); Rylee Perez, Jamestown (N.D.); Maegan Ramirez, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Tate Landmark, Science & Arts (Okla.); Dharianna Familia, Martin Methodist (Tenn.); Maddie Byrd, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Valerie Bertani, Michigan-Dearborn.
Pitcher Nominees: Jena Trombley, Missouri Baptist; Madison Luck, Reinhardt (Ga.); Jessica Osnaya, La Sierra (Calif.); Jessica Holsinger, Corban (Ore.); Tori Burke, Cardinal Stritch (Wis.); Emily Puterbaugh, Huntington (Ind.); Grayson Harvey, Concordia (Calif.); Lorissa Loeppky, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Jennifer Hammonds, Avila (Mo.); Marilee Burge, Tabor (Kan.); Mallory Powell, Rio Grande (Ohio); Casey Bryan, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Taylor Mohler, Bellevue (Neb.); Claudia Farrell, Grand View (Iowa); Brittany Rheault, Jamestown (N.D.); Katrisha Arocha, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Abby Meador, Oklahoma City; Cassie Jones, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Emily Maves, Davenport (Mich.).
2015 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player) (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (March 24): Hannah Moak, William Carey (Miss.); Alex Springer, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 2 (March 31): Reba Depriest, Biola (Calif.); Shelby Engle, Georgetown (Ky.)
Week 3 (April 7): Ashlie Layman, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Abbey Wilmes, Grand View (Iowa)