2015 NAIA Baseball Players of the Week – No. 4 (April 14)
By Mike DeVader, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Jason Snodgrass of Concordia (Ore.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week and Landon Coon of Oklahoma Baptist has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Snodgrass and Coon were selected based on their performances from April 6 – 12 and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winner.
National Pitcher of the Week
Jason Snodgrass, Concordia (Ore.)
5-9, Sr., P, Ramona, Calif.
• In a 3-0 win against Simpson (Calif.) on April 11, Snodgrass took a no-hitter into the 9th inning, until a pinch hit knock by Luke Tessman ended the no-hit bid.
• The senior struck out 10 and walked one before settling for the 1-hitter.
• Retired 24 of the first 25 batters he faced, serving up a walk in the third as the only Simpson baserunner until the final frame.
• Concordia is 22-19 on the year, having won six contests in-a-row, dating back to a 1-0 loss to British Columbia on April 3.
National Player of the Week
Landon Coon, Oklahoma Baptist
6-0, Jr., 3B, Dale, Okla.
• Coon carried a powerful bat this week as he went 15-of-23 (.652) with five home runs, three doubles 14 RBIs and 10 runs scored.
• The third baseman had a streak of four bombs in four-straight at-bats from April 6-7 against NCCAA Arlington Baptist (Texas) and NCAA Division II East Central (Okla.), respectively.
• Against East Central, Coon was 4-for-4 with three dingers, five RBIs, four runs and a walk.
• During the 6-0 week, he averaged 2.5 hits per game and 2.3 RBIs per contest.
For more information on NAIA baseball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
The fifth NAIA National Baseball Players of the Week will be announced April 21.
Player Nominees: Christian Cavaness, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Ridge Hoopi-haslam, Tennessee Wesleyan; Jacob Lanning, Holy Cross (Ind.); Michael Crowley, Huntington (Ind.); Ty Jackson, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Julian Jarrard, Biola (Calif.); Jared Neilan, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Joshua Thomas, Tougaloo (Miss.); Joba Ferrell, Central Methodist (Mo.); Jake Hawkins, Kansas Wesleyan; Logan Coughlin, Indiana Southeast; Harold Diaz, St. Catharine (Ky.); David Espinoza, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Andrew Redman, Clarke (Iowa); Tyler Ludlow, Jamestown (N.D.); Jami Rachal, LSU Alexandria; Braxton Hamil, Mobile (Ala.); Liam Goodall, Embry-Riddle (Fla.); Jose Cruz, Northwestern Ohio.
Pitcher Nominees: Griffin Glaude, Lyon (Ark.); Luke Henderson, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Trey Bickel, Holy Cross (Ind.); Brody Harris, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Conner Menez, The Master's (Calif.); Fernando Gutierrez, Northwestern (Iowa); Rodney Mckay, Jr., Tougaloo (Miss.); Adam Quintana, Peru State (Neb.); Jeremy Newton, British Columbia ; Blake Oliver, Sterling (Kan.); Jason Kim, Point Park (Pa.); John Werner, St. Catharine (Ky.); Aaron Garner, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Sebastian Frutos, Viterbo (Wis.); Tanner Dahl, Jamestown (N.D.); Paul Carpenter, LSU Alexandria; Alsis Herrera, Science & Arts (Okla.); Jack Charleston, Faulkner (Ala.); Alex Hernandez, St. Thomas (Fla.); Adam Prashad, Madonna (Mich.).
2015 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher; Player) (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (March 24): Adam Panayotovich, St. Francis (Ill.); Keivan Berges, Northwood (Fla.)
Week 2 (March 31): Griffin Glaude, Lyon (Ark.); Alex Bautista, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 3 (April 7): Brett Clark, Friends (Kan.); Osvaldo Gonzalez, Bellevue (Neb.)
Week 4 (April 14): Jason Snodgrass, Concordia (Ore.); Landon Coon, Oklahoma Baptist