By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Betsy Hetrick of Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) and Blaire Schmalenberg (pictured) of Madonna (Mich.) were named NAIA Women’s Soccer National Players of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Both athletes were selected for their play during the week of Aug. 31 – Sept. 6 and were chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Betsy Hetrick, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
Sr., F, Plainfield, Ind.
• Finished the week with five goals and 10 points in three matches.
• Recorded the game-tying goal in the 2-2 draw with top-ranked Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) on Aug. 31.
• Posted a pair of markers in wins against Missouri Baptist on Sept. 4 and Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.) on Sept. 5.
• Holds the team-lead with four goals and tied for the most points with eight.
• This is her first career Player of the Week award.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Blaire Schmalenberg, Madonna (Mich.)
Sr., GK, Sterling Heights, Mich.
• Held two opponents – Huntington (Ind.) and Goshen (Ind.) – off the scoreboard in two victories last week.
• Made four saves at Huntington on Sept. 2 for her first shutout of the season.
• Blanked unbeaten Goshen on Sept. 5, which had been averaging over three goals a match in its first two contests.
• The two efforts give Schmalenberg 21 shutouts in her career.
• Schmalenberg now stands with 35 career wins, just six away from claiming the Madonna school record.
• This is here first career Player of the Week honor.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Laurie Frew, Columbia (Mo.); Michelle Landeiro, Union (Ky.); Crystal Schuder, Eastern Oregon; Bethany Balcer, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Xochitl Sandoval, Hope International (Calif.); Esther Soenksen, Concordia (Neb.); Kalyn Pfaff, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Kaja Cremin, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Erin Gilmartin, Point Park (Pa.); Lyana Perez, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Molly Machometa, Viterbo (Wis.); Sheilat Akapo, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Emma Keyes, Southwestern Christian (Okla.); Bronte Cintrone, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Sara Lundberg, Keiser (Fla.); Kelly Capoccia, Madonna (Mich.).
Defensive Nominees: Ashley Parisi, William Woods (Mo.); Taylor Asher, Reinhardt (Ga.); Sarah Vrosh, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Abby Schue, Grace (Ind.); Kyra Dorvall, Great Falls (Mont.); Catherine Newberry, Biola (Calif.); Cici Schneider, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Irene Sanchez, Missouri Valley; Hope Gastelum, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Erica Roney, Point Park (Pa.); Amanda Howard, Campbellsville (Ky.); Aubriana Batchelor, Bellevue (Neb.); Chelsea York, St. Thomas (Texas); Kirsten Thomas, Oklahoma City; Rebecca Wynne, Mobile (Ala.); Felicia Sedell, Keiser (Fla.).
2015 Women's Soccer Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (Sept. 8): Blaire Schmalenberg, Madonna (Mich.); Betsy Hetrick, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)