NAIA Football Players of the Week – No. 1
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Nick Ferrer of Saint Francis (Ind.), Daniel Martinez of Wayland Baptist (Texas) and Caleb Taylor of Faulkner (Ala.) were named NAIA Football National Players of the Week, the national office announced Monday. Ferrer, Martinez and Taylor were chosen for their performances during the week of Sept. 7 – 13 and were selected out of a pool of conference award winners.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Nick Ferrer, Saint Francis (Ind.)
So., QB, Westfield, Ind.
• In only his fifth career start, Ferrer Registered a career-best 434 yards passing and five touchdowns to guide Saint Francis (Ind.) to a 48-42 road victory at Taylor (Ind.) last Saturday.
• Completed 24-of-31 passes (77.4 percent).
• Passing yards total ranks third on the Cougars single-game passing list.
• Leads the NAIA in passing efficiency (247.2), while ranking sixth in passing yards per game (325).
• First career Offensive Player of the Week award.
• Last Saint Francis National Football Player of the Week: Josh Miller (offensive; Sept. 23, 2013)
National Special Teams Player of the Week
Daniel Martinez, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
So., K, Dallas, Texas
• Converted 3-of-3 field goals, including 55-yard attempt (1-yard shot of the school record), in Wayland Baptist’s (Texas) 44-34 win against NCAA Division III Howard Payne (Texas) last Saturday.
• Was also 5-for-5 on PATs.
• Leads the NAIA in field goal percentage (1.000), field goals per game (3.5), scoring per game (kickers) (15.0) and PAT percentage (1.000).
• Second career Special Teams Player of the Week award.
• Last Wayland Baptist National Football Player of the Week: Daniel Martinez (special teams, Oct. 27, 2014)
National Defensive Player of the Week
Caleb Taylor, Faulkner (Ala.)
Sr., LB, Hampton, Va.
• Recorded 20 total tackles (10 solo), six tackles for loss and five sacks – all single-game highs in the Mid-South Conference this season – in the No. 10 Eagles 47-35 victory over Bluefield (Va.) last Saturday.
• Forced two fumbles.
• Leads the NAIA in sacks with five on the year, while also ranking fourth in total tackles for loss (6).
• Owns 24 total tackles on the year.
• First career Defensive Player of the Week award.
• Last Faulkner National Football Player of the Week: Terrell Robinson (offensive; Sept. 15, 2014)
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Jordan Cheatem, Grand View (Iowa); Darius Page, Webber International (Fla.); John Rhode, Saint Xavier (Ill.); J.D. Ferris, Montana Western; Ricky Bickham, SAGU (Texas); Dillon Turner, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Robert Sterling, Dickinson State (N.D.); Adrian Pope, Bluefield (Va.).
Defensive Nominees: Kaleen Jones, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Ben Kullos, Dakota State (S.D.); Jordan Welch, Graceland (Iowa); A.J. Wilson, Montana Western; Riley Schussler, Trinity International (Ill.); Taylor James, Morningside (Iowa); M. Blacharczyk, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Alex Mack, Southeastern (Fla.).
Special Teams Nominees: Jordan Cheatem, Grand View (Iowa); Dustin Wilke, Waldorf (Iowa); Jeremiah Carter, Trinity International (Ill.); Daniel Porter, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Hunter Kennamer, Faulkner (Ala.); KaRa Stewart, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Brandon Robertson, Point (Ga.); Marcus Montano, Southern Oregon.
2015 NAIA Football Players of the Week (complete schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 14)
Offense: Nick Ferrer, Saint Francis (Ind.)
Defense: Caleb Taylor, Faulkner (Ala.)
Special Teams: Daniel Martinez, Wayland Baptist (Texas)