KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Chadd Dearen of SAGU (Texas), Nick Holshoe of Concordia (Mich.) and Ryan Thompson of Reinhardt (Ga.) were named NAIA Football National Players of the Week, the national office announced Monday. The trio was chosen for their performances during the week of Oct. 5 – 11 and were selected out of a pool of conference award winners.
National Special Teams Player of the Week
Chadd Dearen, SAGU (Texas)
Jr., K, Rowlett, Texas
• Converted 4-of-4 field goals in the Lions’ 47-7 win against Lyon (Ark.).
• Three-of-four field goals were from 35 yards-or-greater, including a season-long 47 yard attempt.
• Also ran for nine yards on a fake field goal.
• Punted three times for 120 yards, including a long of 63 yards.
• Tallied 612 yards on 10 kick off attempts.
• Ranks fourth in the NAIA in scoring (kicking) with 50 points.
• First career National Special Teams Player of the Week award.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Nick Holshoe, Concordia (Mich.)
Jr., DB, Hopkins, Mich.
• Anchored a Concordia (Mich.) defense with 18 total tackles (eight solo) and one interception in the Cardinals 35-14 win against then-No. 5 Saint Xavier (Ill.).
• His interception set the table for Concordia’s first scoring drive.
• Tallied 0.5 tackles for loss.
• Tied for the NAIA lead in interceptions (5), while ranking No. 19 in tackles per game (11.5).
• Owns 69 total tackles (27 solo) on the year.
• First career National Defensive Player of the Week award.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Ryan Thompson, Reinhardt (Ga.)
Jr., QB, Mery Esther, Fla.
• Completed 20-of-31 passes for 347 yards and two touchdowns to guide the Eagles to a 55-27 win over then-No. 10 Faulkner (Ala.).
• Added 48 rushing yards on eight attempts, which was third-most for Reinhardt in the contest.
• Only the second time in program history that an individual recorded 300-plus-yards passing.
• Ranks third nationally in pass efficiency (172.3) and No. 35 in total offense (1,101 yards).
• First career National Offensive Player of the Week.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Gerrit Groenewold, Arizona Christian; Cedrick Phillips, Sterling (Kan.); Nate Meier, Doane (Neb.); Jacob Koester, Benedictine (Kan.); John Magee, St. Francis (Ill.); Tyler Fehler, Concordia (Mich.); Zach Bartlow, Eastern Oregon; Garry Chouloute, Webber International (Fla.); Jacob Duilio, Valley City State (N.D.).
Defensive Nominees: Alden Mann, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Josh Rhodes, Benedictine (Kan.); Jamal Graham, St. Francis (Ill.); Jordan Kindred, Georgetown (Ky.); Tajghi Robertson, Webber International (Fla.); Ethen Preston, Valley City State (N.D.); Jordan Pelletier, Doane (Neb.); Freddie Frazier, Bethany (Kan.); Devvon Gage, Southern Oregon.
Special Teams Nominees: Nick Paquet, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Matt Plesac, Marian (Ind.); Drew Klein, Doane (Neb.); Andrew Zubia, Benedictine (Kan.); Matt Berg, Montana Tech; Joshua Perry-Kruse, Dickinson State (N.D.); Marcus Miller, Reinhardt (Ga.); Aiden Pirrin, Saint Mary (Kan.); Nick Powell, Point (Ga.).
2015 NAIA Football Players of the Week (complete schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 14)
Offense: Nick Ferrer, Saint Francis (Ind.)
Defense: Caleb Taylor, Faulkner (Ala.)
Special Teams: Daniel Martinez, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
Week 2 (Sept. 21)
Offense: Tray Boone, Dickinson State (N.D.)
Defense: Dontaye Johnson, Robert Morris (Ill.)
Special Teams: DeMario Fair, Valley City State (N.D.)
Week 3 (Sept. 28)
Offense: Patrick Smith, St. Ambrose (Iowa)
Defense: Josh Woodard, St. Francis (Ill.)
Special Teams: Matt Cotiguala, St. Ambrose (Iowa)
Week 4 (Oct. 5)
Offense: Jacob Russell, Campbellsville (Ky.)
Defense: Spencer Cowherd, Saint Francis (Ind.)
Special Teams: Wendall Williams, Cumberlands (Ky.)
Week 5 (Oct. 12)
Offense: Ryan Thompson, Reinhardt (Ga.)
Defense: Nick Holshoe, Concordia (Mich.)
Special Teams: Chadd Dearen, SAGU (Texas)