By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Intern
KANSAS City, MO. – Tori Bertsch of Rocky Mountain (Mont.), Penny Liu of Columbia (Mo.), and Jennifer Krentz of Viterbo (Calif.) have been named NAIA National Volleyball Players of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. These three were selected based on their performances from Oct. 5 – Oct. 11 and were chosen out of a pool of conference and Association of Independent Institution selections.
National Setter of the Week
Tori Bertsch, Rocky Mountain (Mont.)
Sr., S, Post Falls, Idaho
• Ranks No. 12 in assists with 894.
• In four matches played, she recorded 170 assists, 68 digs and 7 service aces to help her team to a 4-0 week.
• Selected to the all-tournament team at the Panther Invitational hosted by Davenport (Mich.).
• Averaged 11.3 assists per set. Includes a week-high 46 against Ashford (Iowa).
• Tallied 45 or more assists in 3-of-4 matches this week.
• This is her first career player of the week award.
National Attacker of the Week
Penny Liu, Columbia (Mo.)
So., OH, Nanjing, China
• Earned her third all-tournament honor after helping her team go 4-0, including a 3-1 win against then – No. 3 Missouri Baptist.
• Recorded three double-doubles this week helping her team beat No. 3 Missouri Baptist.
• Averaged 4.4 kills and hit .423 for the week
• Recorded a week-high and match-high 21 kills against Missouri Baptist.
• Ranks No. 1 in hitting percentage (0.414) with 293 kills and 62 errors.
• Ranks No. 16 in kills per game (3.860).
• Ranks No. 31 in total kills (293).
• This is her second National Attacker of the week honor in 2015
National Defender of the Week
Jennifer Krentz, Viterbo, (Wis.)
Sr., DS, Watertown, Minn.
• Averaged 6.53 digs pre-set (111 total) including 38 against No. 8 Evangel (Mo.) to help her team to a 5-0 week.
• 107 digs away from becoming Viterbo’s all-time leader in digs.
• Rank No. 3 in digs with 507 and No. 7 in digs per set (5.83).
• Posted a .949 reception percentage with only four errors on 79 attempts.
• Added six service aces, with three coming against Ashford.
• This is her second career player of the week award.
Nominees: Kara Stamper, Bryan (Tenn.); Rachael Schaefer, UC Merced; Amanda Miller, Eastern Oregon; Brooke Lee, Roosevelt (Ill.); Morgan Miller, Indiana Wesleyan; Treneisha Doyle, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Stephanie Flores, Vanguard (Calif.); Ashlee Harms, Midland (Neb.); Ty Howard, Dillard (La.); Taylor Wells, Grand View (Iowa); Emma Feierabend, Friends (Kan.); Mallory Livingston, Indiana East; Kaysie Massie, Georgetown (Ky.); Natalie Geidel, Viterbo (Wis.); Alysha Blanco, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Fia Faa'agi, Oklahoma City; Eloisa Sales, Bethel (Tenn.); Nikki Mckown, Keiser (Fla.); Molly Lameyer, Davenport (Mich.)
Nominees: Haley Pouliezos, Missouri Baptist; Ana Calaza, Union (Ky.); Courtney Pitts, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Emmaline Stockton, Northwest (Wash.); Michelle Busscher, Trinity Christian (Ill.); Ashlen Buck, Indiana Wesleyan; Brooke Myers, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Rebecca Lowden, Vanguard (Calif.); Bailee Gofta, College of Saint Mary (Neb.); Darian Harris, Xavier (La.); Erin Dodd, Central Methodist (Mo.); Haley Thompson, Kansas Wesleyan; Chandler Brown, Rio Grande (Ohio); Madison Smith, Shawnee State (Ohio); Stephanie Rubio, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Shaughnessy Hearn, Texas Wesleyan; Cassie Bailie, Faulkner (Ala.); Morgan Leff, Keiser (Fla.); Emma Matthew, Davenport (Mich.)
Nominees: Ally Krus, Missouri Baptist; Shelby Grace Enochs, Bryan (Tenn.); Olivia Ortiz, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Rachelle Chamberlain, Eastern Oregon; Tori Mantel, Trinity Christian (Ill.); Bridget Troyer, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Kelly Dalrymple, Vanguard (Calif.); Katie Placke, Hastings (Neb.); Franziska Pirkl, Xavier (La.); Chrissy Daggett, Grand View (Iowa); Bethany Farres, Ottawa (Kan.); Alex Satterfield, Brescia (Ky.); Makenzie Montano, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Amelia Grahn, Viterbo (Wis.); Janelle Solis, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Heather Watson, Oklahoma City; Taylor Harper, Mobile (Ala.); Nicole Papineau, Keiser (Fla.); Sydney Tracer, Davenport (Mich.)
Week 1 (Sept. 09): Natalie Geidel, Viterbo (Wis.) , Jennifer Krentz, Viterbo (Wis.) , Ally Krus, Missouri Baptist
Week 2 (Sept. 16): Samantha Voils, Missouri Valley , Marlowe Beatty, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) , Rachel Kater, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)
Week 3 (Sept. 23): Penny Liu, Columbia (Mo.) , Marlowe Beatty, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) , Sashiko Heredia, Columbia (Mo.)
Week 4 (Sept. 30): Cassie Sarabia, Indiana Tech , Haley Pouliezos, Missouri Baptist , Bethany Farres, Ottawa (Kan.)
Week 5 (Oct. 07): Kylie Porter, College of Idaho , Michi Jimenez, Lourdes (Ohio) , Kelsey Johnson, Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)
Week 6 (Oct. 14): Penny Liu, Columbia (Mo.) , Jennifer Krentz, Viterbo (Wis.) , Tori Bertsch, Rocky Mountain (Mont.)