2015 NAIA Menís Soccer Player of the Week Ė No. 10 (Nov. 10)
By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Andreas Tschongarow of Friends (Kan.) and Marcel Schmid of Madonna (Mich.) have been named NAIA Men’s Soccer National Players of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. These two were selected based on their performance from No. 2 – 8 and were chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Andreas Tschongarow, Friends (Kan.)
Sr., F, Sulingen, Germany
• Helped clinch a bye in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference Tournament (KCAC) with three goals and 2 assists for the week.
• Earned his first career hat trick against Bethel (Kan.), and added two assists to tie the KCAC single-game high of eight points.
• Leads the Falcons in goals (eight) and points (20) on the season despite playing in just 11 of the team’s 18 games.
• Ranks No. 6 in the KCAC in goals and No. 7 in points.
• This is his first career player of the week award.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Marcel Schmid, Madonna (Mich.)
Jr., GK, Stuttgart, Germany
• Recorded six saves in Madonna’s 1-0 upset over then-No. 3 Davenport (Mich.) in the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference Tournament.
• Shut-out Davenport who ranks No. 32 in total goals (49).
• Totals seven career shut-outs on the season.
• Ranks No. 18 in goals against average (0.85).
• This is his third career player of the week award.
Offensive Nominees: Jonathan Ray, Lyon (Ark.); Filipe Checco, St. Andrews (N.C.); Artemio Contreras, UC Merced; Evan Trychta, Roosevelt (Ill.); Corey Lopez, Indiana Wesleyan; Thales Serra, Hope International (Calif.); Daniel Whitehall, Hastings (Neb.); Jordan Lucas, Grand View (Iowa); Alan Ramos, Point Park (Pa.); Marco Galeano, Campbellsville (Ky.); Alex Ellis, Texas Wesleyan; Sebastian Wladyko, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Sergio Royo, Northwestern Ohio
Defensive Nominees: Iain McTurk, Columbia (Mo.); Leandro Custodio, St. Andrews (N.C.); Robert Rodriguez, La Sierra (Calif.); Brian Aldrich, Holy Cross (Ind.); Robbie Barnhill, Grace (Ind.); Scott Landon, The Master's (Calif.); Mark Horsburgh, Concordia (Neb.); Luke Russell, Missouri Valley; Aaron Parrott, McPherson (Kan.); Bennet Strutz, Cumberland (Tenn.); Connor Georgopulos, John Brown (Ark.); Yohann Bedos, Martin Methodist (Tenn.)
2015-16 Men's Soccer Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (Sept. 09): Robbie Barnhill, Grace (Ind.), Aleksi Pahkasalo, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 2 (Sept. 16): Clark Lydon, Marymount (Calif.), Brent Rodden, Siena Heights (Mich.)
Week 3 (Sept. 23): Marcel Schmid, Madonna (Mich.), Sergio Royo, Northwestern Ohio
Week 4 (Sept. 30): Adam Holt, John Brown (Ark.), Aleksi Pahkasalo, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 5 (Oct. 07): Logan Miller, Lyon (Ark.), Isaac Huerta, Goshen (Ind.)
Week 6 (Oct. 14): Iain McTurk, Columbia (Mo.), Stephen Owusu, Science & Arts (Okla.)
Week 7 (Oct. 21): Jorge Navarrete, Southeastern (Fla.), Tyler Gahara, Fisher (Mass.)
Week 8 (Oct. 28): Brin Lapuh, Grand View (Iowa), Pedro Amaral, Bethel (Ind.)
Week 9 (Nov. 04): Brin Lapuh, Grand View (Iowa), Jordan Trinci-lyne, SCAD Savannah (Ga.)
Week 10 (Nov. 11): Marcel Schmid, Madonna (Mich.), Andreas Tschongarow, Friends (Kan.)