By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Abbey Hengesbach of Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) was named NAIA Women’s Basketball Division II National Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. Hengesbach was selected for her performance during the week of Dec. 28 – Jan. 3 and was selected out of the conference and Associaiton of Independent Institutions award winners.
Women’s Basketball Division II Player of the Week
Abbey Hengesbach, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
Sr., G, Westphalia, Mich.
• Helped the Tigers to a 2-0 week by defeating then-No. 5 College of the Ozarks (Mo.) (119-106) and (RV) Oklahoma Wesleyan (114-109).
• Recorded her second and third double-double on the season – College of the Ozarks (16 points and 11 rebounds) and Oklahoma Wesleyan (23 points and 10 assists).
• Averaged 19.5 points, 9.0 rebounds and 8.0 assists.
• Averaged just 20 minutes per game.
• She ranks fifth in the NAIA in total assists (78) and 14th in total steals (40).
• This is her first career National Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the Women’s Basketball Division II statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Jara Gasper, Tennessee Wesleyan ; Cassidy Wyse, Taylor (Ind.) ; Kristin Sabers, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) ; Hali Butler, Lawrence Tech (MI) ; Sharday Baines, Rio Grande (Ohio) ; Courtney Murphy, Keiser (Fla.) ; Georgia Williams, Valley City State (N.D.) ; Maloree Moss, Eastern Oregon ; Susan Ageson, Oklahoma Wesleyan ; Esther Wofford, Simpson (Calif.)
2015-16 Women's Basketball Division II Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (January 5): Abbey Hengesbach, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)