KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Sarai Rodriguez of Mid-America Christian (Okla.) has been named the NAIA National Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. This honor, which encompasses performances from Dec. 28 – Jan. 3, is the first of the 2015-16 season. Rodriguez was chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Player of the Week
Sarai Rodriguez, Mid-America Christian (Okla.)
5-5, So., G, Austin, Texas
• Led the Lady Evangels to a 1-1 week, including an 87-75 win at Avila (Mo.), averaging 30.5 points, 3.0 rebounds, 6.5 assists and 2.0 steals.
• Recorded a season-high 32 points and 10 assists on Dec. 31 against the Eagles en route to her first double-double of the year.
• Scored 29 points on Jan. 2 in an 89-70 loss at NAIA Division II then-No. 5 College of the Ozarks (Mo.).
• Ended the week shooting 52.9 percent (18-of-34) from the field, 61.5 percent (8-of-13) from 3-point range and 89.5 percent (17-of-19) from the free throw line.
• Ranks second on the team in scoring (16.8 points per game) and leads the squad with 47 assists.
• Has scored in double-digits in six-of-eight games this season.
• First career national Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Petrolina Chilaka, Columbia (Mo.); Micah Brooks, Southern-New Orleans (La.); Shamon Pearson, Bethel (Tenn.); Nneka Nnadi, Great Falls (Mont.); Taylor Hamilton, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Macy Wallisch, Baker (Kan.); Lindsey Burd, Campbellsville (Ky.); Melissa Norman, Vanguard (Calif.).
2015-16 Division I Women’s Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 5): Sarai Rodriguez, Mid-America Christian (Okla.)