NAIA Menís Division II Basketball Player of the Week Ė No. 2 (Jan. 12)
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Brandon Vanderhegghen of Grace (Ind.) was named NAIA Men’s Basketball Division II National Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. Vanderhegghen was selected for his play during the week of Jan. 4 – 10 and was chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
Division II Men’s Basketball Player of the Week
Brandon Vanderhegghen, Grace (Ind.)
6-1 Sr., G, Mishawaka, Ind.
• Averaged 26.5 points per game to lead the Lancers to a 2-0 week.
• Recorded 26 points, six rebounds and three steals in an upset win over then-No. 1 Indiana Wesleyan, 91-80, on Jan. 9.
• Shot 52 percent (16-for-31) from the floor and 44 percent (8-for-18) from the 3-point line for the week.
• In the win over Indiana Wesleyan, he hit 5-of-9 3-pointers and was 8-of-12 from the floor.
• Scored a team-high 27 points and brought down 10 rebounds in an 80-70 victory over Huntington (Ind.) on Jan. 5.
• Leads the team in scoring (15.7), total points (283) and steals (35).
• This is his first-career National Player of the Week award and the fourth award for Grace since 2012. The most recent was on Greg Miller on Feb. 11, 2014.
For a complete list of all the Division II Men’s Basketball statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Trey Suttles, Tennessee Wesleyan ; Aaron Larson, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) ; Tyler Parrish, Waldorf (Iowa) ; Dominez Burnett, Davenport (Mich.) ; Trey Bardsley, Nebraska Wesleyan ; Emanuel Morgan, College of Idaho ; Lance Carter, Tabor (Kan.) ; Warren Hall, Warner (Fla.) ; Troy Conley, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.) ; Blake Walsman, Cincinnati Christian (Ohio)
2015-16 Division II Men's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (January 5): Ilya Ilyayev, St. Francis (Ill.)
Week 2 (January 12): Brandon Vanderhegghen, Grace (Ind.)